521 alternator hook up

sdsurf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the one pointing to the left is grounded to the block where the neg battery cable mounts and the one to the right looks to go to the voltage reg base which is negative ground.

The black (ground) wires go to the ground lug in the alt. There should be a non-isolated terminal there (on the bottom pic it has a blue ring terminal attached to it). Sometimes the bolt it missing; reman alts don't come with the bolt (have to keep the one off your core) but the hole is there.

The upper pic isn't 100% hooked up correctly, the wires are in the right place, but should never use the securing nut to hold the terminal end on the positive lug. There should be 2 nuts and the terminal sandwiched in between (like the lower pic). With only one nut, that increases risk of the + output wire grounding to the alternator case, and puts excess stress on the terminal stud wiring inside the alternator when it is installed/removed.

The upper pic isn't 100% hooked up correctly, the wires are in the right place, but should never use the securing nut to hold the terminal end on the positive lug. There should be 2 nuts and the terminal sandwiched in between (like the lower pic). With only one nut, that increases risk of the + output wire grounding to the alternator case, and puts excess stress on the terminal stud wiring inside the alternator when it is installed/removed.

:poop: , thanks, I didn't noticed that, you just saved me from future probs... :sweat:

I've had problems when I found alts with only one nut, when trying to remove the nut the whole stud turned and broke off the wiring inside. There's supposed to be an insulator, a washer, then a nut (which stays locked down all the time) then the terminal ring, then a lock washer then the outer nut. That's how they came from the factory. Then when you install/remove you need 2 8mm wrenches (or one wrench and a 8mm socket) and hold back the securing nut when loosening/tightening the outer nut, to keep the terminal stud from turning.

That's why the stud is so long. But I see them missing parts on a lot of cars, folks got lazy or lost parts when doing a swap, or the reman alt didn't come with all the parts. And generally they work, until the stud rusts up and you have to remove the wiring for some reason, then you twist off the internal wiring and aw crap, alt is dead.