J15 curiosity

boxboy

Just doing a bit of worrying about the future and googled a rebuilt J15. Seems they are available for a couple of grand "like new." Curious to know if there is any info on how hard it would be to throw one it as a replacement for my J13. Will the transmission bolt up? Clutch mechanisms? Carburetor? Anyone ever looked into it or tried it? What would one need to do it other than the engine itself?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I meant to mention that it would be a fork lift motor that I was looking at. I didn't know the cam would be different, or the front cover. I assume they used the same castings however, so the motor mounts wouldn't be an issue? Where did you get a rebuilt J15 that wasn't a forklift motor?

I have heard that the Nikki carburetor that was standard on some J13 motors will not move enough air to accommodate the larger J15 cylinder volume.

Here is a J15 rebuilt engine for $995

http://www.recycler.com/Details/-32535001

I am in the process of rebuilding a J13. It has been very difficult to locate all the components for the rebuild. The prior owner disassembled the motor and left many of the internals in the bed of the truck for 10 years. Needless to say, rust is everywhere.

Keith

I have heard that the Nikki carburetor that was standard on some J13 motors will not move enough air to accommodate the larger J15 cylinder volume.

Here is a J15 rebuilt engine for $995

http://www.recycler.com/Details/-32535001

I am in the process of rebuilding a J13. It has been very difficult to locate all the components for the rebuild. The prior owner disassembled the motor and left many of the internals in the bed of the truck for 10 years. Needless to say, rust is everywhere.

Keith

While it has been a while since I rebuilt my J-13, most of the supliers are still around. www.motorpowerinc has most of the engine ineternals for the J-15 which for the most part fit the J-13. The D-11 pistons and rings fit the J-13, not the J-15. THe J-15 guides and vavles will fit the 13 head, but the seats will need opened up, whjich is a perfect time to put in hardened inserts for using unleaded fuel. THe J-15 oil pump fits good too. As for the rocker assy, I ended up using a rocker assy from a 1970's MGB 1800. It was $20 from E-bay, and was for the 1800 GB series. As for the carb, I am using J-15 vavles, a "RV" cam grind and only .020 over pistons, and the stock Nikki works well. But you can use the MGB intake manifold from Cannon with a DGV Weber or the DGA? the one that looks like a DGV, but is oriented like the NIkki. I can't remember the exact one. Also some guys have used the Cannon side draft manifold for a DCOE-40, but clearance by the clutch and brake masters is tight. Also for a "long-pipe" "Header" the MGA cast iron maniforls will fit, but requires the use of an electric fuel pump, as it is just to close to the mechanical pump. Just a few ideas for you.

Hope this helps,

Garry K in Alaska