what happens to the exhaust?

i just bought a 71 240z, and im planing to put air filters for each carb, so my question is, what will i do with the exhaust that goes back to the original airfilter case? do i just leave it open? do i have to remove it? whats the best thing to do with that exhaust pipe??

have a happy 4th of july!!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most older cars have a heat exchange tube that connects to the stock air filter...

It doesn't pump exaust into the carb....... it meerly allows warmer air to flow into the carb through the heat exchange tube.

If there is an actual hole in your exaust manifold that tube would be black and your car would hardly run.

Stick your finger in that tube,,, it stops at the manifold..... it doesn't/shouldn't allow any exaust fumes into your air filter......... only warm air from the tube

I want to make shure we are both talking about the heat exchange tube,,, and not a egr tube, or smog rail.

The heat exchange tube collects the warm air around the exaust and sends it into the air filter to help warm up the engine in cold weather.

Is this the tube you are talking about?:

420555.bmp.jpg

thank for the reply!

so what can i do with that tube? do i leave it as is? because im planing to remove my air filter casing and just put individual air filter for each carburetor.

You can leave the tube how it is,,,, because it doesn't pump exaust fumes into your intake

That tube will be fine going nowhere........ and you can run individual filters without any problems:

420525.bmp.jpg

Thanks Indy I'm still on London time and crashed at 9:00 last night.

The warm air pipe is also known as the stove pipe and is part of the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) system. Its job is to provide warmed air to the carbs during cold weather and on start up to prevend an over rich condition from the cooled denser air. The warmed air also vaporizes the fuel easier and is essential to preventing carb icing in areas that may have near and below freezing weather and high humidity. Once the motor has warmed there is a temp controled valve that shuts of the vacuum used to control an actuator used to close the stove pipe. This actuator will partially open/close to mix warm and cold air from the air filter snorkel to maintain a 70-80 inlet air temperature. Some older models just had a lever that you set for winter or summer operation.

California shouldn't be a problem but it sure gets foggy and damp up here in the PNW in winter.

thanks for the enlightenment!!

that was very helpful!

yeah i notice my car had the lever for summer or winter, now it makes sense :)

oh yeah and i bet the other erik mendoza is ALSO good looking heheh

and have another question, how do we post photos in this forum, i tried to insert an image but i got a notification saying

("You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board." )

wanted to share a photo of my Z

420525.bmp.jpg

hey its my old rat L26 re painted and in phlebs car :lol:

so what did you do with your Z''s heat exchange tube?

just unbolt and toss it, Iv never missed nor noticed not having one on any of my cars up here, even in the snow. youl never need it in CA :D