Datsun 411 rear brakes

Paul G.

I was wondering what part options are available for the rear brakes on my 411. Everything about them is proving hard to find and pricey when found. If I start spending $100 on shoes and $150 on wheel cylinders I'm going to go broke before I get through the whole brake system. I haven't found replacement drums. Currently I have a slight leak out of the right rear cylinder and a very frozen left rear adjuster that I think a previous owner took a vise grips to. I would consider any option up to swapping the rear axle out for something with available brakes. If I'm going to actually drive the car it needs available replacement parts, even if I have to do some fabrication to make that possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what part options are available for the rear brakes on my 411. Everything about them is proving hard to find and pricey when found. If I start spending $100 on shoes and $150 on wheel cylinders I'm going to go broke before I get through the whole brake system. I haven't found replacement drums. Currently I have a slight leak out of the right rear cylinder and a very frozen left rear adjuster that I think a previous owner took a vise grips to. I would consider any option up to swapping the rear axle out for something with available brakes. If I'm going to actually drive the car it needs available replacement parts, even if I have to do some fabrication to make that possible.

Try Rock Auto. They had listed 411 rear drums and cylinders about a year ago. Also check Tana the Datsun Lady [vindats1] on this site. She has a good stock of 410 and 411 parts.

The adjuster is best turned with a quarter inch socket inverted and turned with a quarter inch allen wrench. A little light filing to remove burring just might allow the quarter inch square socket drive to engage. Penetrating oil highly recommended!

JCWhitney listed the following parts that you might be interested in back in March of 2004.

Rear left Wheel cylinder Raybestos WC37206 $56 and change

Rear Right wheel cylinder Raybestos WC37206 $56 and change

For the front disc brakes

Loaded right caliper assembly Raybestos RC3017 $94 and change witha $30 core charge

Loaded left caliper assembly Raybestos RC3018 $94 and change with a $30 core charge

Try Rock Auto. They had listed 411 rear drums and cylinders about a year ago. Also check Tana the Datsun Lady [vindats1] on this site. She has a good stock of 410 and 411 parts.

The adjuster is best turned with a quarter inch socket inverted and turned with a quarter inch allen wrench. A little light filing to remove burring just might allow the quarter inch square socket drive to engage. Penetrating oil highly recommended!

that's an awesome tip Mike!!

Tana the Datsun Lady set me up with the parts I need for the immediate repairs. One rebuilt kit for a very slightly leaking wheel cylinder (I caught it before fouling the brake shoes, it was weeping around the boot) and one good adjuster that with a quick tune up is as smooth as butter. I was going to have a new rear hose made but it looks like the available 520 front brake hose (NAPA pn# UP36737) will work find as a rear brake hose in a 411 (the stock one is about 1.5 inches shorter.) The rear drums are smooth and the shoes have most of their life left in them.

The front drum brakes currently look good and it is obvious that the front flex hoses where previously replaced because the outer rubber cover is in good condition. The front shoes are about 1/3 the thickness of new so that will be next. After popping the dust caps I didn't even bother going into the front wheel bearings as it was clear they where packed not long ago and they have no play. Wow - the front brakes have big springs holding them in place.