R-160 Subi Question

I have an R-160 differential out of a 95 -96 Subaru Outback.

What do I need to do in order to bolt this into a 510?

I believe the axle flanges are different etc. but I do not know for sure.

Also, what is the likely gear ratio?

Thank you for your help.

ROB

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CV joints have a roll pin/spring spin holding them on to splined stub shafts that go into and stick out of the diff. You simply drive out the roll pins to remove the CV joints (the pins are on the outside of the CVs, you don't need to pull the boots or anything), then there is a torx head bolt through the center of the splined stubs holding them in. You'll need a deep torx E10 socket to get them out, or you might be able to get away with an 8mm 12 point socket. Try not to snap off the head of you might have to cut/grind to get the stubs out. Then you just install the stock 510 stub axles with the bolts that go with them, tightening the bolts snug. Not sure what the torque spec for those is, but it's not crazy high, so you can get away with hand tightening them with a ratchet. I can't remember if the pinion flange is the same or not...I think it is. Not sure on the gear ratio either. It's usually 3.7 on the subaru LSD units I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to decide what I am going to do with it first. It is pretty small so I just have it under the bench.

It will be in the classifieds here if I do decide to sell it.

Thank you for asking, and your help.

ROB

what gearing? how much mileage? further more how much are you selling for?

From my limited searching awhile ago it seemed that the style I have was not the good one. The posi style is older and I think it is a bolt in along with better gearing. I would ask someone who really knows....

I have been told that the newer style like mine has too tall of gears for performance use.

ROB

i thought 92 and under subaru dif's are bolt in the rest are not?

LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO EAT MY HAT FROM EARLIER. YOUR DIFF IS NOT AN LSD. however, the easiest way to find out is to spin 1 of the axles to see what happens, rather than listening to jokers on a forum.

Here is an epic list that will help you to figure out what your late model subaru diff actually is --copied from below

NON-LSD

Most R-160s you see under Subarus will NOT be an LSD. There were no LSDs of any kind in 1995-1999 Subarus.

Look for the following Subaru part numbers (look at the foil sticker for part number and ratio):

7220 11010: 3.70 ratio

7220 11011: 3.70 ratio

7220 11012: 3.70 ratio

6220 06020: 3.90 ratio

6220 06021: 3.90 ratio

6220 06022: 3.90 ratio

27011 AA151: 3.90 ratio

27011 AA040: 4.11 ratio

27011 AA110: 4.11 ratio

27011 AA111: 4.11 ratio

for performance, i need a 4.11 gear ratio, but i have a stock rx-7 tranny. looks like most of the 90's to current LSD's are 3.7 or 3.9

DQ has documented one method to make it "bolt in."

DQ Volume 9 Issue 4 - Tech How-To: VLSD Installation - Subaru VLSDs are now more common (and cheaper) than clutch-pack R160s. Australian Peter Otzen documents the fabrication necessary to use 510 half shafts and make the installation a bolt-in.

This has all the info for the bolt-in clutch-pack R160LSDs: