280z trans

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 280z 5 speed is identical ...

Identical: Xerox, carbon copy,corresponding, dead ringer, double, duplicate, equivalent, exact, indistinguishable, interchangeable, like two peas in a pod, matching, one and the same, same, same difference, selfsame, spitting image, tantamount, twin, same.

ohh ok as long as its a l series engine right?

Well there are lots of L 5 spds to choose from beside the 280z. As stated there is an exact match used in the '77-'78 620 but if you don't care about different 1, 2, 3 and 5th gear ratios the '79 620, '80 2wd 720, '79-'80 280zx and '80-'83 non turbo, and the '79-'84 Maxima 5 speeds(gas and diesel) will fit an L 4 cylinder too.

This one? jjnxqv.jpg

First that tranny is about 5" too long to fit a 510 without shortening the drive shaft. The rear tranny mount on the 510 is slightly forward so it will need to be modded and moved back slightly to fit that one. The shifter hole opening in the floor moved back a couple of inches. Use the shift arm that is on the 5 speed but keep and use the L16 release bearing housing that fits on the end. This is important as the release bearing housing is matched to your clutch pressure plate. The one on the 5 speed clutch arm is likely for a larger pressure plate... don't use it. Replace the bearing for sure unless it's fairly new. Be sure to pack the new one with grease, they are sold dry so you have to do this.

The FS5W71B, this one was made after '80, is a good strong 5 speed and will easily handle the L16 and to spare. I don't think this is from an '80 720 but it is consistent with a 280zx or perhaps a Maxima. There were two 280zx non turbo 5speeds, both with almost identical gears (almost) and both with a monster over drive 5th gear, also almost the same. When ID-ing a tranny it's often easier to say with certainty what it isn't and not what it is.

yeah that one. did i make a mistake i hope not.. well yes i packed my new clutch bearing.. i used the old bearing housing and used the old fork from the dogleg. and nicoya was nice enough to let me borrow his shorten driveshaft to test this trans. the trans looks like its been repaired bears feel smoth and goes though gears smoothly, he says he does not know any history on it i hope its a good trans i know ive been bugging and bitching that i need a trans thats wy i purchased this one. ok and i knew about the mount.. i need to make the whole on my floor board bigger then, since you did mention it. i did notice it was hitting wen i was trying to install it?.. but in general will this fit my 510? any tips to make this instalation any easier? did i make a good buy?

yeah that one. did i make a mistake i hope not.. well yes i packed my new clutch bearing.. i used the old bearing housing and used the old fork from the dogleg.

Very lucky! It just so happens the dogleg and the FS5W71B clutch arms are the same! Never mix parts unless you know it will work.

i need to make the whole on my floor board bigger then, since you did mention it. i did notice it was hitting wen i was trying to install it?.. but in general will this fit my 510? any tips to make this instalation any easier? did i make a good buy?

The hole may need to be bigger but mostly it will need to be moved to the tear. I think the 510 has a cover plate with the hole in it over the tranny hump. You may be able to simply unscrew and move it back slightly or just use it as a template to make another one.

Got to assume an equal amount inside. At least it can be drained out to get rid of and there's nothing the gears can't chew up. I shudder when I see motors with that... it can collect around the pick up screen. and if small enough ends up in the filter.

Check my KA I tore down:

KA24Eblock009Large-1.jpg

You know the factory doesn't use it..

You mean like lift it up and bolt it in? biggrin.gif It shouldn't be any harder to fit the 5 speed compared to the 4 speed. It weighs maybe 20-30 lbs more. Get the car nice and high and well supported so it won't fall while you are wrestling with it. Have a friend help. I used blocks of wood under it and added more as I got it up. I've taken the original 5 speed out of my truck and fixed and replaced it, then taken it out and replaced with a 280z 5 speed. When I put my Z24 in I installed a 5 speed. All I did by myself without help so it can be done. The truck has torsion bars and a cross member in the way, so I imagine a car would be infinitely easier.

yeah but wen i try to get it in the bell housing hits my firewall or floorboard.. ive tryed for two 3days now and i still cant get it in im so stressed, i also made the shifter whole a lil bigger on the floorboard help a lil bit but not enough ..... ive loosend up my motor mounts to try and push the engine down sum help a lil bit but im still not in.. can this tranny even fit?

I've heard, though cannot verify, that 510s that were Manual Trans cars to begin with have smaller tunnels and the 71-series trans doesn't fit in the tunnel. Automatic ones had larger tunnels.

However, once again that's just something I heard, and have not actually seen. It doesn't make sense to make 2 different floorpans.

Make sure you have the front of the engine jacked up to tilt the engine down at the back, otherwise the lack of a transmission made it shift up in back, and it won't install that way.

Wait, Mike already said that.

You may want to unbolt the exhaust, check that the fan does not hit the rad and maybe remove the rad hoses to allow the motor to tilt down at the back. I don't understand why there's a problem. Is the oil pan down on the steering cross rod at the back??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.