just wondering

im new here and was wondering if there was anything i could do to get rid of the smoke i recently got a 1973 datsun 620 runs fine but on cold start it smokes blue smoke the when warm no smoke i was wondering if there was anthing i could adjust or oil treatment to get rid of the smoking problem

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys hey skib i was wondering if you could do them 1 by 1 the head is still on the truck

ya you can leave the head on.

you either need to bring each piston to the top and stuff some rope in to keep the valves from falling or hook up an air hose

hey skib where would i put the rope if i were to dis this and with each piston at the top i will not have to compress the valve springs or will i

to get to the valve setem seals you have to remove the valve springs.

but you either need some rope in the cylinder with the cylinder at TDC (one at a time)

to keep the valves from dropping (if they do then you have to take the head off) or you can get a compression test kit with the air hold adapter like this one.

shrink.jpg?maxhw=290&source=http%3A%2F%2Fs.sears.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FSears%2F00947089000-1%3Fhei%3D2000%26op_sharpen%3D1%26op_usm%3D0.9%252C0.5%252C0%252C0%26resMode%3Dsharp%26wid%3D2000

this will keep your valves from falling into the cylinder while you remove the valve springs and then remove and replace your valve stem seals.

Get about 2 feet of 1/4" polly rope and tie a knot in one end. Find the beginning of the compression stroke on the cylinder you are working on and push the rope in to the knot. Turn the motor ahead by hand until the piston has firmly compressed the rope against the closed valves. Do not use the starter! It just has to be very snug. Remove valve spring and change seal, have a coffee, finish in the morning if you want. When done, back up the motor to release the rope and remove. Move on to the next cylinder.

ok i understand all that i have to take off the exhaust header and intake mani fold right and use the ports on the side of the head also would i need any special tools to do it

what?

no, you dont, you can put the rope threw the spark plug hole.

you just need to pull the cam cover.

you will need a valve spring compressor.