Oil pump shim query

Pulled the TC cover etc. off of one of my Z24s to replace the timing chain assembly. Was rattling like fuck on certain days when cold. Was OE with 170000km and the tensioner was only extended about 3/8 inch.....thought it would be worse. Was tying to find where the chain might be slapping against....nothing.

Here nor there.....have a new assembly coming tomorrow.

Anywho......I'm gonna shim the pump to increase the oil pressure a bit.....sooooo......I'm assuming I place a shim in the backside of the 'bolt' to shorten the spring length. Correct?

If so....what size of washer......standard thickness? One washer? Mike?

Drop the washer right in where my screwdriver is pointing?

P1010057.jpg

On another note.....looks like my water pump was trying to pass something... :poop: .? :D The impellers on the pump don't look too bad..

P1010053.jpg

P1010054.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P1010057.jpg

Yeah slip something that fits down that hole. Small washer or slug and test the pressure on the gauge. Rev it up to over 2,500. You can slip a second on in with the pump on the vehicle and test again. Have a care the pump can easily put out enough to split the oil filter... I had that happen once, actually twice until I found a piece of casting jammed in the relief valve. I hadn't had the pump off or anything, just did an oil change. I thought it was a crappy crappy tire filter. Took it in and they gave me a gallon of oil to replace what I lost on the 401 and a new filter. Blew that on the way home from work so I knew it was serious.

High volume pump right?

That is a stock pump.......shall make it a high volume :cool: :cool:

I'll start out with a standard sized shim/washer....don't need 2 much

Keep in mind this won't raise the idle pressure so rev up to test. The high volume WILL raise the idle pressure.

Well this didn't turn out to plan...... :blink:

Put a shim in the pump...... got everything assembled.....flashed it up....runs good....but 10lb of oil pressure.....WTF.

Pulled the shim..... no improvement.

I'm pretty sure it's not the sender.....it's just not getting the oil.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it.....but I had a blonde moment :)

After I assembled everything I was going to drain the oil....but got sidetracked. Put 2 liters in it before I realized I didn't drain the oil....... So there was 6 liters plus a little water in it. Drained that and replaced with 4 fresh liters.

The new filter was installed when there was 6 liters in it.

Not knowing.

Plan B

The pumps, particularly old ones, don't self prime very well. Gotta prefill them.

Some electric gauges read 10lbs even when none exists, or just air pressure in the system.

Thanks..!

Pulled the pump.....filled with oil.....added the shim.

Good pressure now..........Much better than 10 lb... ^_^

Hopefully I didn't fuck anything up waiting for it to self prime.......low pressure and all.

:D

Naw. They'll run on wet bearings fine if you don't drive them. How much hp does it take to spin a crank and rods at idle anyway?

Doug loosen that bottom chain guide and shove over to the right to remove as much slack as possible in the chain. This will prevent chain rattle on cold start up and hot idle when oil pressure is lowest. The tensioner will take care of the rest.

Naw. They'll run on wet bearings fine if you don't drive them. How much hp does it take to spin a crank and rods at idle anyway?

Doug loosen that bottom chain guide and shove over to the right to remove as much slack as possible in the chain. This will prevent chain rattle on cold start up and hot idle when oil pressure is lowest. The tensioner will take care of the rest.

When I installed the new TC assembly I pivoted the the left chain guide to the right....taking up any 'leftover' slack.

What is too much pressure....? When it's cold it's above 75lb at 2000 RPM.

On another note.....had a lesson on oil filter quality the other day at the local auto parts store. The had cut 3 filters in half....to inspect the 'manufacture'. Now I see why everyone is slagging Fram........what a fucking joke. Not good at all. Mostly paper.....less pleats. Got one on my other truck....shall be replacing ASAP.

Gonna assume that a filter cannot 'reflect' on engine oil pressure????

Well....took the truck on it's first venture in about 8 years today......went to the big 'city'.

Ran excellent......had the Fosgates cranked.....so I had a propensity to keep my eye on the temp and oil pressure a little too much. :unsure: No issues. A constant 55lbs all the way. Was going to drop some aluminum rims off to powder coat....80 bucks a pop including taxes. :huh: Not.

Think I'll just polish them up instead.

Had the tank topped up before I left. When I returned it cost 28 bucks @ 1.03 per liter to fill. Traveled 310 km .

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....that works out to about 31.5 miles per gallon?????????

4x4 with 30x9.5s and Weber carb...........

I'm gonna assume it wasn't topped up completely on the second fill.......shall fuel up tomorrow and recalculate