real estate

question for you guys south of the border..

whats the average price for a house on a good sized lot.. not in like downtown areas, prefferably in the boonies.

up here the average is 500 grand for a cookie cutter house on maybe 10.000 square foot lot.

intested in at least a 2 acre lot size....

just day dreaming :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not south of the border, but interesting none-the-less...

Downtown Vancouver, penthouse suite, on the water, 9,000 square feet...

$18,000,000...

Or an insanely large house in Abbotsford (farmland area), on an acreage (no idea how big), 45,000 square feet (not a typo)...

$10,000,000...

I can't remember if it was exactly $10,000,000, but it was somewhere in that area... I have no idea what I'd do if I had 45,000 square feet though...

stay away from socal.... prices are outrageous down here

you mean like 500 k for a shit hole?

when i was down there in febuary it didnt seem so bad...

i went to palm springs and drove around a bunch.. really like joshua tree and then the area south east of temecula.

those areas arent so bad when compared to real estate in other places. i think parts of palm springs have become a popular place for retirement. youre looking to pay up the rear to live near the coast or in the hills...or in the downtown areas. its at a point where local police and firemen in los angeles cant afford to live within an hour of their job. a friend of mine is a cop in beverly hills and commutes and hour and a half one way from lancaster (a lot cheaper there) to work each day.

here in the san fernando valley (about 30 min north of LA), rent can cost easily $1500 a month or more for a 2 bedroom apartment in a unsafe/overcrowded neighborhood... and buying a 1900 sq foot home in the same neighborhood can easily reach $500,000 to $600,000. Prices grow the closer you get to the downtown. heck, here its not uncommon to see 30 year olds still living at home with mom and dad. unfortunately for some, banks are foreclosing like crazy because of loans given out to people with bad credit (or to people who just couldnt afford it) and lots of houses are for sale. for me however, im 24 and just out of college and looking for a job and to buy a house soon and if things continue the way they have been it may be possible... or i may give up and move out of state like many people already have

those areas arent so bad when compared to real estate in other places. i think parts of palm springs have become a popular place for retirement. youre looking to pay up the rear to live near the coast or in the hills...or in the downtown areas. its at a point where local police and firemen in los angeles cant afford to live within an hour of their job. a friend of mine is a cop in beverly hills and commutes and hour and a half one way from lancaster (a lot cheaper there) to work each day.

here in the san fernando valley (about 30 min north of LA), rent can cost easily $1500 a month or more for a 2 bedroom apartment in a unsafe/overcrowded neighborhood... and buying a 1900 sq foot home in the same neighborhood can easily reach $500,000 to $600,000. Prices grow the closer you get to the downtown. heck, here its not uncommon to see 30 year olds still living at home with mom and dad. unfortunately for some, banks are foreclosing like crazy because of loans given out to people with bad credit (or to people who just couldnt afford it) and lots of houses are for sale. for me however, im 24 and just out of college and looking for a job and to buy a house soon and if things continue the way they have been it may be possible... or i may give up and move out of state like many people already have

hm.. sounds exactly like here.

yes palm springs is very retirment friendly thus, i wouldnt want to live there... id be looking for rural area housing.. not much of a city dweller..

really apreicate the post man good info.

houses can be found for a medium price of $220,000 around Washington. Larger lots are harder to find but you can get some with an acre for $300,000 a little away from the city. The houses themselves on those lots aren't very big and may be a manufactured home.

The closer to any city you get the more the price goes up. I just sold a half acre in city with a small house for 285,000. Not in Seattle, but in Federal Way which is between Seattle and Tacoma. You have to go out east a bit to get the cheaper homes now.

houses can be found for a medium price of $220,000 around Washington. Larger lots are harder to find but you can get some with an acre for $300,000 a little away from the city. The houses themselves on those lots aren't very big and may be a manufactured home.

The closer to any city you get the more the price goes up. I just sold a half acre in city with a small house for 285,000. Not in Seattle, but in Federal Way which is between Seattle and Tacoma. You have to go out east a bit to get the cheaper homes now.

good thing i have no intrest in living in a city..:)

im not really picky about what i live in. more to where as long as i can have a shop too.

its at a point where local police and firemen in los angeles cant afford to live within an hour of their job. a friend of mine is a cop in beverly hills and commutes and hour and a half one way from lancaster (a lot cheaper there) to work each day.

north hills = the good part of pacoima :lol: my ex teachs middle school in pacoima and used to in NH :eek:

now is the time to start looking (esp in CA) as the forclosures are WAY up and people who got in high are bailing out for a loss.

i will be seriously looking here in march/april myself, near the beach of course...

commuting is mandatory w/in 2 hours of LA, i drive 52 miles roundtrip, good luck living near your job, unless that job pays >6 figures, and even then its still a small place :blink:

it all depends on what you want...OR may be a good place too.

Acording to Mike Klotz home prices are why there are so many "stupid californians up here!" Unfortunately he's right. My home is a 1500+sq. ft. home on an 11000 sq.ft. lot and is valued at $760,000. Bay area home prices are REDICULOUS. I have a cousin who lives in San Francisco. He did a TIC with 3 other people to buy a 4 apartment building. They each got 1 studio apartment and it cost them $2 million. He spent $500k on a fucking apartment and has to share a garage with three other people! You have to go a couple of hours to fimd any lots with any size to them.

north hills = the good part of pacoima :lol: my ex teachs middle school in pacoima and used to in NH :eek:

now is the time to start looking (esp in CA) as the forclosures are WAY up and people who got in high are bailing out for a loss.

i will be seriously looking here in march/april myself, near the beach of course...

commuting is mandatory w/in 2 hours of LA, i drive 52 miles roundtrip, good luck living near your job, unless that job pays >6 figures, and even then its still a small place :blink:

it all depends on what you want...OR may be a good place too.

oregon still has rain haha.. i was thinking that too.. anythings better then here.

whats the jobmarket like down there? whats hot?

hahaha. its pacoima heights. small world but im trying to get a job as a teacher in the pacoima/san fernando area. just gotta wait for my background check to clear. i work in North hollywood now...

hm.. sounds exactly like here.

yes palm springs is very retirment friendly thus' date=' i wouldnt want to live there... id be looking for rural area housing.. not much of a city dweller..[/quote']

i also would love to live in a more rural area. been living somewhat in between most of my life, and i like the open space more (hard to enjoy a datsun when stuck in traffic)

Acording to Mike Klotz home prices are why there are so many "stupid californians up here!"

funny you say that... because there has always been somewhat of a migration of people from the midwest (or anywhere else) to california, and now the opposite is happening. i hear all the time about people in other states complaining about californians moving in:lol: