510 street/track car build

aussiebj

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see in the pics, the method used to retard timing under boost is to "lock out" timing in the distributor so that the total timing would be 15-16*. This works, but the motor "off boost" tends to rev slower and be down on power due to the lack of timing. There are several solutions, the most flexible would be the MSD 6530 that allows a PC programable timing curve.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-6530/

it is also a bit pricy.

This is about a 100 less.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=69&cat_key=7

I won't even start with options for the water/alcohol injection.

5-22 The day after......Well i made it to the Pocono event......here is a recap.. leave 3 am for the 3hr drive to Pocono..get to the gates at 6.05 ,good im the first there, this will secure a place in the garage...take some pics of the car in front of the Pocono sign ...Then i notice my trailers front l/h wheel is almost ready to fall off....so they let me in early ,i take the wheel off and no wheel bearings left at all just the inner bearing race welded to the axle.....OMG what do i do now, no fun if i cant get the car home...I run out to the auto parts store at 7.30am and they open at 8..i wait, and they dont carry anything, but they send me to a trailer place just up the road ..they dont open till 9am go figure...so i head back to the track to make the first session....I get the car all squared away check and recheck everything...This is it first time on this fast track with a new untested car....(Oh bty i could not adjust the boost lower than 15psi so yes you guessed it Race fuel ..shes running 110 octane).....they wave me out on the track for the warm up laps....The exhaust has a very small leak just below the turbo pipe small enough that you can hear it in the video.....so off we go everything looks good oil pressure good ..water temp good ...tires comming up to temp...noise still there..... after warm up, off we go motor running strong throught the twisties ,now on to the back straight lets open her up... 15psi through 4 gear up to 120mph..then i here a noise that gets louder so i slow and pull into the pits......I lift the hood and check out the exhaust as it sounded like the pipe came off....but to my surprise it was actually a failed spark plug that the complete center of the plug blew out of the motor, i mean the only part of the plug that was left in the head was the metal base with the thread.....so i ran off to the parts store and they had some autolite plugs ...ill take what ever i can get at this point to salvage the rest of the day..on the way back i stop at the trailer place and pick up the parts i need for the trailer ,and then to a hardware store to buy a grinder and chissel.....get back its lunch time .....after the great buffet lunch i fix the trailer and then replace the plugs....we are back in business.....back out on track shes runnig great 120mph at 7000rpm is the best i can do, as i run out of gear on the long straight... this is where i wished i had bought that 5 speed..after 4 laps i noticed the water temp climbing up to close to 200 so i pulled in to let it cool down ....checked the thermostate ,and it had been modified to just be a restrictor....changed the water added some water wetter...and back out for another session..she was running great but the water temp was climbing again after 4 laps....so i pulled in and called it a day..after that session was over an instructor that i knew came up to me and told me he was in a 2010 roush mustang and was right up my but comming off the main straight into the infield ,as soon as i made the first corner i was gone and the student in his 427hp stang just could not catch me..of course that was until the end of the back straight...but all in all it was a great day with an unproven platform.the 510 was a hit with everybody...now ill go over the entire car as my next event is on july 16th at Melvile NJ on the Lightning circuit.....and yes i have pics and video... in car and out.... ill post it up soon...Barry

• 3 months later...