Porting intake to match manifold ?

Trex72

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a couple and found it very satisfying to work with your hands and dream about all the hp you were making. :lol:

:rofl:

if its already off and your doing it yourself its fun to do and good practice.

Iv got a 210 on my L16 right now two and Im just doing all my port work on a W58 that Ill be swapping on there later

It's for use with an L16 motor. I have heard that it was originally designed for the L14 engine but don't know for sure. Small ports and valves would make it docile and efficient at low speeds. But not much of a screamer at high RPMs.

It's for use with an L16 motor. I have heard that it was originally designed for the L14 engine but don't know for sure. Small ports and valves would make it docile and efficient at low speeds. But not much of a screamer at high RPMs.

so if your in need of a nice paper weight........

i have found that in order to solicit useable advice, you have to know:

1) what you want as the 'end product'

2) $ you intend on spending,

and more importantly, be able to ask that question with clarity, to avoid getting information that you don't need.

the "is porting my head worth it" thing comes up now and then - and this is totally cool. but i think that if you know what you want from it, you'll get a better, more useable answer.

your cylinder head mods fall into "intended purpose" catagories like:

1) total DD, stock bottom end, single carb

2) street mod, higher comp ratio, cam multi-carb

3) turbo

4) full competiton

and honestly, your 210 head CAN work in any of these applications. i have a big valve, 1.5" intake port small chamber 210 head that was a crappy small stock 210 originally. but getting it there wouldn't be cheap if i had to pay somebody to do it. AND it wouldn't be the best choice in some of the applications listed above due to port velocity requirements for efficiency.

In regards to your head, the 210 is not the ideal choice for performance gains as others have mentioned. Your questions about port matching the head to the intake...here is the answer: Port matching is a necessity and follows proper performance build protocol vs. simply expecting to gain HP by that process alone.

The majority of power your engine will produce is derived from the head. You will build your bottom end to withstand the gains and you can contribute to those gains with the right combination of boring, piston choice, bearings, lubrication etc. Think of it as a house. The structure is only as sturdy as the foundation it sits on right? Engines are no different.

Back to your head. Port matching is a necessary step when you are modifying your head. Think of it this way, you are improving air flow, improving/increasing fuel/air ratios and detonation. You do not want to restrict any of the flow with irregularities in the port openings of the intake and exhaust. Think of it as a straw. It is one shape from top to bottom and flow is consistent. Now, put a bend or a kink in that straw and what happens to your flow?

Now that you understand the simple dynamics, having your intake and exhaust port matched to your head (once the head has been modified to choice) is a smart builders step in the overall process.

I hope that helps.

So I need a better head . I know... that's what she said . Anyway i have a small amount of $ set aside for this "Head project" any of you have a A87 head anywhere near so. oregon ? ty .

I have an open chamber W58 you can have, not as great but its better than the 210 and its free.

where in S.OR are you?

personally Im going to run an open chamber W58 shaved for 9:1 CR and Ill be doing a heafty port job on it. not a crazy race head but itl deff be a big improvement over the 210 when its done.

Are you kidding Skib a free datsun head i must of died and gone to heaven i live in K.Falls Or. and will travel far and wide for free head .

I get lots of free head :lol:

this ones just taking up space in my shed.

Ill be in Grants Pass and Ashland this weekend so you may not have to do to much traveling lol.

I also have a U67 head with a "B" spec L20 cam. It has bigger intake and exhaust valves than your 210 and has some advantage over the A87 if built properly. Again, it all depends on your build specs. If the W58 doesn't work for you we can talk but I live in Seattle.

I did a couple and found it very satisfying to work with your hands and dream about all the hp you were making. :lol:

dont forget your safety glasses! :blink:

you want to see those dreams come true! ;)

the first one is scary... the others :w00t:

plus youll have one to practice with now.