'71 521 rat

hey guys, as some of u know, i sold my 720, and am going to be getting a 521! wat can i do to the motor? side drafts and electronic ignition for now? cuz i would like to build up a decent l20b for this, and i would like to have a 5 speed when i swap motors but idk which one.. and as for lowering jus drop on torsion bars and blocks... i wana be as low as possible, and for an exhaust, were going to be doing a side pipe, and for paint, well its staying with what its got. wheels, wats the lowest profile tire i can get for a 14 inch rim?? i would love to be able to get like a 185,45,14 but i cant find shit for 14's.... so where can i get a lo profile tire for the stock rims guys? also, does anyone have buauty rings for the rims? i have the center hub caps, but i would like the chrome rings also. and the interior, the door panels, headliner, and dash are a zebra print, has carpet, and a seat cover.... has no major rustm just surface :) the box was hit by a semi on the drivers side. the story on that is the datsun was driving and a semipulled out from a side street and caught the datsun on the side (t boned) and ripped the bumper off the semi, so the datsun now has a hole in the side of the bed from the corner of the bumper... the owner right now said ths not that bad, that i couuld cut out a section of like 4"x5" and patch it and you would prolly never kno. and its got a lil front end damage aso, the grille and one fender have a lil damage, but its not bad and could be taken care of with a hammer and dolly set easily. the owner is holding this truck for me till next weekend when i get paid, and then i will up load pisc for you guys :)n cant wait to get started on this. well heres the pic from the add, and the add itself

datsun 521

large_5825191272234418.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... the box was hit by a semi on the drivers side. the story on that is the datsun was driving and a semipulled out from a side street and caught the datsun on the side (t boned) and ripped the bumper off the semi, so the datsun now has a hole in the side of the bed from the corner of the bumper...

Your Datsun ripped the bumper off a semi.. that's awesome.

Your Datsun ripped the bumper off a semi.. that's awesome.

supposedly... thats the story, wheather its true or not. idk, seems kinda far fetched ... i mean..... single walled bed DATSUN .vs. semi.... doesnt even seem logical to me but it sounds goot so im guna stick with what the po said

what kind do you want? webers? su's there are alot of different sid draght options for these motors research and find what you want

i personally would start with a weber 32/36 a header good exhaust (for an l16 i wouldnt go bigger then 2 inch but you say you want an l20b so 2.25 for that) and a matchbox dizzy you will be surprized how much that little l16 will wake up

well i have been reading, and it sounds to me like the stock exh manifold flows really good already, so i will go with that, an i am going to do the 2 1/4 exh when i get it.. and as for dide drafts, i would like wat ever i can find for a low price.... ok so i know it wont literally be low, but u all kno wat i mean by that! i do have a 38/38 but im sure its way over kill and wouldnt idle for shit lol and as for a future motor swwap, im not completely sur what i want... i have been tryin to find info on the frankenstien motors, but i cannot for the life of me find that thread... please help guys...

I run a 1.75 inch exhasut on my 521.

2inch will be fine for more than most power upgrades on a L motor.

I am also running a 38/38 right now. but I have a U67 head which has bigger 1.375 in intake ports and I stock L16 intake manifold that I hogged out to match to the head better. I also have the Weber Tall carbadapter and have that matched up so a nice smooth flow going down the carb in to the manifold.(no edges in the way)

I also have a bigger cam.

A stock L16 is best just with a weber 32/36.

Ps you can use the stock 521 carb linkage/cable puller on the back of carb to fit on the weber. Close to a perfect fit.

As for tires I would get the stock tires so it fills the wheelwel better when you lower it. Paint rims white and get the small whitewall tire. 185/75/14

I would just drive this truck and build a motor on the side. Cause by then youll loose interest but still have a truck to drive around and still learn L motors.

olddatsuns.com

read everything on there, I mean it!!!!!!!

ya that was the plan, was to buiuld a motor slowly on the side, but i kinda wanted to get this one a little hotter till the other motors goin... i was thinkin like puttin on the side drafts then when i put the new motor in, i will already have them to use :) but i dont know wat to do to this motor really.... and i dont know what head is on this yet either... so that will be a factor...

ok guys im goin to pick this up in like 20 minutes :) its about a 2.5 hour drive each way... wish me luck :) also, one huge question! the owner of this sais that the seats are not hardened so he has to run lead additive in his fuel.... is this true or is he full of himself?

huge question! the owner of this sais that the seats are not hardened so he has to run lead additive in his fuel.... is this true or is he full of himself?

He is correct. But I dont run any additives when I have a L16 head..

Just run it till it dies.

if you have a 210 casting head I think its a waist of time beside a weber 32/36 for upgrades. Just live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

question on l20 swap.. is it like a direct bolt in... like will oil pans swap over? cuz the 521 is a front sump, and the l20 is a rear sum correct? cuz its cumming out of an early 720... and it will bolt up fine to motor mounts n tranny and all the wiring and hoses are the same loction right?

ok thanks bonvo! i think i will keep the stock motor in here till she lets go then put the l20 in, but i wana get a few upgrades for l20 first... wats best to start with? carbs? ignition? then cam... i like the idea of side drafts and a cam, but i want a good ignition system too, also, what head would be the best for power? if the deal goes thru, it will be out of "radioredlines" 720... haha uh oh... he uses frams :( lol

im not the expert here but from the info i have gathered the head your going to want is somthing closed chamber so look into the a87 head on the l18s but if you get one of these your gonna want to get the intake ports done for ignition i would just get the matchbox

personally i found a night and day difference with my L20b just by adding a weber 32/36 a header 2.25 inch exhaust from the header all the way back threw a magnaflow muffler the electronic ignition and a new timing set this really woke the motor up and give really good streetable power with no loss to torque

well i have a 38/38 weber i could throw on there, and on the l20 i heard its jus as good to throw on the l16 exhaust mani since its jus as good as a header compared to stock l20 manifold... this seems odd, but i have heard it once or twice on here... and it would have a 2 inch exhaust all the way back to a cheap fart cannon off ebay, then another prolly 2 feet of exhaust out the back.. so the can would be tucked up somewhere by the tank, it actually sounds pretty good, and not like shit like most little hondas.. lol and i would like to throw in a reground cam.. but i dont know the specs to get one ground to. anyone? also stiffer valve springs? who are the experts? lol

... lets jus make this not so many q's, is there someone that has a good write up on a built l20 pushing some good power? i would like to find some good reads on some tricks and specs for these motors, and their weak spots...