T4 Turbo???

im trying to buy stuff to turbo my ka24de. the motor is fully stock. a guy is selling his turbo and says its a T-4. how do i find out if it is a T-4 and also if it would work on my motor. the turbo markings are garrett a/r .60 m-24 and exhuast side says a/r 1.15 m-1. the guy want 200 bucks brand neww. is it worth it? will it work???

IMG00167-20100428-1729.jpg

IMG00168-20100428-1729.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a guess here, but would think a T4 would be *way* too big for a KA24DE. ESPECIALLY if the KA has stock compression. The 280ZX turbo cars use a stock T3, with a really low compression ratio. So you're trying to throw a bigger turbo, on higher compression. For one it would take forever for it to spool up, and second it's so overkill for stock compression. Unless you're just wanting an extremely peaky drag engine.

What you'd really want is something small like a T25, but even with that you'd want to lower the compression.

The compressor size of that turbo would work well for a KA24DE, but the exhaust is WAY to larger for a 2.4 l motor to spool at a decent rpm. For a 2.4l motor a .63 exhaust housing with a stage 4-5 wheel should give usable boost by 3k rpm or so with that compressor size. A T25 or a T28 would givew boost right off idle but a well thought out and sized T3-T4 turbo would give broad mid and top end power.

Most people don't want a straight T4, they want the hybrid T3-T4. So buying it for resale is probably not a good idea, unless you want to convert it over. I'd bet money that anyone who does buy it is going to make the swap, so in essence they'd be buying it for parts, IE: they'd want it cheap.