sr20det 77' 620

vegas_datsun

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so im doing this swap and i have run into some problems.

first of all it looks like your engine mounts are both passenger side mounts, worth noting because this shit is not lining up with the stock mounts.I have been dicking with it for the past 2 hours and its not playing out.

Second, note that your center link IS flipped, it smashes that bitch if its not flipped as i just found out. anyone have any advice on how to flip the center link? the hole is tapered so how is it going to tighten up if it is backwards?

looks like im not going to be setting the engine in anytime soon.

On a good note the s13 transmission is fitting decent so far, the shifter is moved back about 3 inches but not far enough but please dont anyone get the idea that its going to be easy, but just think about that boost!!!

Flipping a center link is a lot a work when you can run a threaded rod and drill the arms and use 2 5/8 rod ends its not rocket science. But I belive you have to taper the other side of the arms to flip it and hope ya get it right. Drilling a hole is hard to screw up :lol:

im looking on rock auto at the 73 510 mounts and they are similar but they still dont look right.

I am quoting what he said earlier in the thread

sorry took so long been away at schooling in utah. yes is it a sr20det. using the stock mount brackets i bolted it up to the 620's stock rubber one. it fit nice.

The rubber mounts I'm using are factory 620 mounts

And the brackets are stock sr20det ones.

As for the center link. It's how it came with the truck when I bought it.

When I get home I'll take better pics of everything . I'll be home April 6th

sweet! thanks vegas, im gonns try to situate the engine down in there a bit better, i think my centerlink is preventing it from tilting where it needs to go, ill get that off and try again, however im still trying to figure out youe mounts, they look nothing like any of the 620 mounts i have looked up. maybe datzenmike knows this one?

ok so here is what i have figured out. The sr20det swap isnt as nearly as bolt in as we all would like, but with the proper tools and a little bit of ingenuity it can be done. Vegas, you have used a frankenstein combo tranny and your saying that the stock tranny mount bolted up and that the mount lined up on the tranny cross-member, you used stock L16 engine mounts, and the stock turbo DID NOT clear the steering column. However most of us would be swapping a complete setup that included an s13 sr20 tranny instead of a Frankenstein tranny. I am using a redtop s13 with the stock 5 speed s13 tranny, the stock 620 engine mounts (L20B not L16) and the stock 620 tranny mount. With the engine in the bay the top lip of the transmission barely hits the firewall so a little massaging with a hammer and dolly will be in order, however with the stock s13 5 speed the crossmember needs to be relocated a few inches rearward. This problem is easily solved and opens the door to using the stock turbo. With the engine and tranny mounted together, line up the transmission mount with the holes in the cross member and bolt it in. Now taking a look at the engine bay you will notice that the engine is sitting an inch or so forward. This is OK!!!! to solve this problem you will need to remove the metal mount on the frame and relocate it forward approx 1 Inch. With the engine seated securely forward the stock t25 turbo clears the steering column. however the stock waste gate actuator will need to be remounted in a different way (im still working on that one). just a different way to mount it all up i guess, but it does allow you to use the stock turbo and to keep from having to re weld the tranny crossmember. I would rather weld the engine mounts than try and weld the crossmember overhead yikes!!! direct swap with stock components? NO!!! direct swap with aftermarket components? possibly but alot more expense involved!!!!

been usign cardboard cutouts and measuring, there is room upfront for a 3 inch radiator, a small intercooler in front of the radiator and for a pulling fan, its tight but it fits. Also im not seeing how vegas got his that far back in the engine bay, as mine is an index finger width away from the firewall. even if i wanted to it wont scoot back any further.

ok so here is what i have figured out. The sr20det swap isnt as nearly as bolt in as we all would like, but with the proper tools and a little bit of ingenuity it can be done. Vegas, you have used a frankenstein combo tranny and your saying that the stock tranny mount bolted up and that the mount lined up on the tranny cross-member, you used stock L16 engine mounts, and the stock turbo DID NOT clear the steering column. However most of us would be swapping a complete setup that included an s13 sr20 tranny instead of a Frankenstein tranny. I am using a redtop s13 with the stock 5 speed s13 tranny, the stock 620 engine mounts (L20B not L16) and the stock 620 tranny mount. With the engine in the bay the top lip of the transmission barely hits the firewall so a little massaging with a hammer and dolly will be in order, however with the stock s13 5 speed the crossmember needs to be relocated a few inches rearward. This problem is easily solved and opens the door to using the stock turbo. With the engine and tranny mounted together, line up the transmission mount with the holes in the cross member and bolt it in. Now taking a look at the engine bay you will notice that the engine is sitting an inch or so forward. This is OK!!!! to solve this problem you will need to remove the metal mount on the frame and relocate it forward approx 1 Inch. With the engine seated securely forward the stock t25 turbo clears the steering column. however the stock waste gate actuator will need to be remounted in a different way (im still working on that one). just a different way to mount it all up i guess, but it does allow you to use the stock turbo and to keep from having to re weld the tranny crossmember. I would rather weld the engine mounts than try and weld the crossmember overhead yikes!!! direct swap with stock components? NO!!! direct swap with aftermarket components? possibly but alot more expense involved!!!!

yeah the tranny i have is a ka tranny with sr bell housing. i used that cuz the tranny that came with my motor was a 6speed and i didnt want the 6 speed. i dont think the stock sr 5speed is much longer than the ka one. i dont have one to compare. how mine bolted right up ionno. i just put it in and it all lined up. must have gotten lucky or something. how much different are the motor mounts on the l20b to the l16?? simple fix could be to just go to the junk yard or order some off line. that way itll fit like mine did. when i get home i will definitally take more pics and explain a lil better how everything is set up. i never once said this is the set way to put the motor in. but it is whats been working for me without having to move motor mounts and re weld them. with stock components i couldnt get it to fit cuz the turo. but i see it as if im doing a swap it wont stay stock thats why i never went too indepth on trying ot get it to fit in stock motor setup.