motor swap

codycatract

hi i am new to this datsun world i always owned toyotas but i decided to get a bomber to drive around so my wheeler can take a break i dont know if this is where i am suppose to ask this but i got a 1979 datsun but the motor that came with it is newer with 8 spark plugs my question is is how got i get that to work just put power to both coils and run it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to read that run on sentence but here goes.... Power goes to both + sides of the coils from the ignition switch. The - sides of the coils go to the distributor. One is Red and the other Blue (or Blue/White stripe) The third distributor wire is the power for the ignition module that turns the coils on and off to make them spark. This third wire is likely Black/White stripe and should also be connected to the ignition switch.

This is the wiring colors for the Z22 motor which I assume you have.

Yup Z22.

Power from the ignition switch to the positive terminals of both coils.

The negative terminals of the coil are connected to the distributor by the two wires listed above.

The third distributor wire goes to the ignition switch.

bolt up yes, be right no...

The L motor sits slanted to the passenger side, the naps slant to the driver side. So the shifter will be off and tranny will be tilted. Not good for putting gear lube in there, it wont get the correct amount. Unless you fill it to spec and put the trans in.

You can pull the bell housing off a Naps trans and put it on the L series trans, that will correct it and sit right...

ya i got motor in and motor is tilted to passanger side and tranny is other way so i cant get it in first i was going to just cut flore board but that bell housing is on any of the z motors?

why where you going to cut the floor?

the trans would still be cockeyed with out changing the bell housing...

and do me a favour.... each time before you hit that "add reply" button,

take a second to look back over what you just wrote.... and make it legible. please.

Ok, i put a z22 motor in my 79 Datsun. It all bolted up but the tranny is cocked to the driver side, so i can't get it into 1st gear. It is the stock tranny with a newer motor, so what i am wanting to know is there an easy fix to make everything right? Would it be easier to get the right tranny for the z22, or just get another l16 to put into it? sorry im not to good on a key board thanks.