5 speed tranny

NWOleman

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 5 speed from a 79-80 280ZX...The question I have is, can I just unbolt the 4 speed I have in my truck and bolt on the 5speed without changing anything or replacing anything...such as the T/O bearing, flywheel, clutch? the 5 speed came with a T/O bearing but I don't know if it's any good...should I buy a new T/O bearing?

You'll want to change the speedo drive cog. I've heard some folks say they don't interchange, but I took the cog out of my '76 620 4-speed and put it in the '82 280ZX tranny I replaced it with and it fit and worked just fine.

Use the throwout collar/bearing from your 4-speed. Change the clutch only if you feel it's needing replacement.

Here's the thing though... you need to make sure the transmissions are the same length. My '74s had longtail, but Bleach's '74 had shorttails and they don't interchange without changing the mounts and driveshaft.

Ok...I measures my 4 speed and it's a longtail...So it should mount perfectly right?? The thing is, I was going to buy input and output shaft seals, but I don;t know which is the correct seals. How do I know which one is the right one.. The 5 speed came off a 79-80 280ZX.. I couldn't find a part number on the tranny itself.. maybe it's under the oil that I didn't clean off...is there a specific spot where I can find the part number???:confused::confused:

It has been a few weeks since I cleaned up my '80 truck 5-speed, but I recall a number at the top of the front of the bell housing. A stamped-in number with several digits that I took to be a serial number. I don't know if that is a number that will be of use to your parts source, but it wouldn't hurt to take it along.

Len

a 280zx transmission is what you need to replace your long tail 4-speed.

The Nissan part numbers are not stamped on the parts. Order the seals for a 1980 280ZX transmission. That is all you should need to know. There were no turbo options that year so there should be no confusion with the turbo trasmision.

Thats the tranny i need right? Anybody have one they want to get rid of cheap?

I dont' think it is. In your case 1973 had only short tail transmission from what I know so your original question about a dog leg 5-speed is accurate. You need a short tail 5-speed which is only found in the dog leg. (rare)

They can be found for $200-250 from a Datsun guy or less from a wrecking yard.

The long tail started being produced late in 1974. The 240Z might have had a long tail 4-speed before then but I've never looked into that. Not important anyway...

in your 610, if you do modifications to the driveshaft to accept a long tail, then you're set. From there on out if you need a replacement you just need to grab a Z 5-speed. 1978-83 which aren't too hard to find.

Ok...Bleech...I know you said to just order seals for a 80 280ZX tranny....I went to auto zone and they have different seals for the 5 speed...click on this link and you'll see what I'm talking about...Can you tell me which one is the one I need....

I only need to replace the Input and output shaft seals right??

http://www.autozone.com/N,11200074/Q,4294941039/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

I think their search doesn't even know what transmissions were available for a particular year. There were no 4-speeds in 1980! I wouldn't trust Autozone. Price range from $20-39 per seal

go to http://www.importedcarparts.com

shows one input seal and one output seal for the 1980 Nissan 280ZX. less than five bucks each. Order it and call it good. :D

Might want to pick up some wiper blades, oil filters (blue Japan filter), and oil drain plug gaskets while you're putting an order together. ;)

Rockauto.com really does rock...they seem to have just about everything you need...and to add my .02 cents, I agree that you can use their listings as a reference guide...check to see different years, etc............now then as for the 5 speed/4speed dilema(sp) and the driveshaft ???..I believe that all the truck driveshafts are the same from the carrier bearing back...it is the short shaft that is different.....sooooooo you could use the your stock drive shaft, and just replace the front section to accomodate the Longtail/shorttail question.......(I am sure that if I am wrong here...someone will correct me???) Having said that, I wonder now if the KING CAB would be different...hmmmmmmmmmmmm guys??