How i got my 620

kaoss

Good story for those who haven't heard how I acquired the Datsun.

I saw the Datsun sitting in the corner of the lot of Bowen motor company in down town Amarillo. The place had been open forever, and sold motor homes in the 60's and 70's, and then sold truck toppers. The truck had 4 flat tires and the driver window shot out.It was in March of 2004 and I was looking for a small truck to buy before I got married in June.

I went in there to ask about it and the owner, an elderly gentleman, told me $800 and his son had done a little bit of work to it and it ran, but needed tires. So i went outside and looked it over real good, and came back in and he was sitting as his desk with his face in his hands. I told him that I would think about it and get back to him. He said in a real shaky voice that I'll never forget " I can't see you son, I just can't see you!"

By this time, his wife and son was in the office with us, and told me that he wasn't feeling to well. No big deal I told them and I would come back later. I decided to go back the next day to try to talk him down a little on the truck. The place was closed for the next two weeks.

He died of a stroke the night that I had talked to him about buying the Datsun.

I talked to his wife about it after they reopened, and told her that he wanted $800 for it but I didn't want to give that for it. She said How about $425? I gave her the cash, and the truck was mine!

Datsun4.jpg

My buddy was super mad about it, because about a month earlier he went in and the old man told him something like $1500 for it. So the joke is I knocked off the old man and ripped off his wife.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The frame in that last pic is my buddies D21, and all of that is gone and has been replaced with a full back-half.

The idea for the 620 is a stock floor body drop, 4 linked, and bagged. Tossing around the idea of toyota front clip versus stock stuff. Probably going to stick with the stock stuff and see if I like driving it. At 6'5" I'm not really sure if I will enjoy cruising in it, so I don't want to go to far with it. But since I have had it for 6 years, I have to at least build it, cruise it to a couple of shows. If I love it driving it, I'll spend some more on it. If it's a love hate situation, I'll sale it and get me an extended cab D22.

Signs of a stroke:

The American Stroke Association wants you to learn the warning signs of stroke:

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding

Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes

Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

Sudden, severe headache with no known cause

Stroke is very serious and you probably could of saved the guy or not. I don't know how bad it was but if someone says they can't see you, its a good sign of a stroke. My mom age 55, had a stroke, she was unloading groceries from her car and it happened. She was suddenly blind and became so dizzy she was puking non-stop and crying out for help. Luckily she was on a college campus, (getting her masters for montessori)there was people close by. She is still trying to recover from that. It has been almost a year and still gets dizzy if she does to much.

Luckily she was okay.

Either way, that is a crazy story and you probably are a little more aware of the situation that you were in and the truck is a nice find!