water in the pcv

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i putt a u67 head on an l20 and i have noticed i have water in my pvc. I have that nice creamy coffee looking gunk on the pcv valve. Now my first thought was great blown head gasket! but when i checked my oil it was fine. Any ideas why it is doing this?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If the oil is clean I wouldn't worry. The PCV valve works like a vacuum cleaner, drawing burnt and un-burnt fuel, and oil and water vapors from the crank case and sending them through the intake to be consumed. It's normal for these fumes and vapors to condense in the pipe when the engine cools down overnight. This happens more when the vehicle is used for short trips and barely warms up.

In this case, check regularly and make sure the pipe is clear and the valve not clogged.

Always a good idea to periodically check the PCV. I hadn't had one go bad in a long time, so I slacked off. As I was pulling apart my somewhat overheated (understatement) L20B in my '74 yesterday I pulled the PCV hose off to remove the manifolds, and all the guts of the valve fell out of the hose. The PCV itself was completely rusted out. I can imagine I had a bit of a vacuum leak, no?

And I had no problem getting the 2 center bottom manifold bolts out (late L20B, or better known as the "Bane of Hainz"). One 12mm socket, one universal, one normal extension, and a breaker bar. Once they broke free, they were easy, spun out by hand. Far easier than the 3 exhaust studs (which backed out the whole stud instead of just the nut).