Fuel level sender question

metalmonkey47

I pulled my fuel level sender unit on my B310 because my gauge wasn't working, to find that the small wire was broken. (PIC ATTACHED)

My question is, can I replace this small length of wire with any size wire, or does it have to be the exact size wire? I don't wanna risk blowing anything up.

IMAG1100.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was thinking, just needed to confirm. I didn't want to replace the sending unit if I didn't have to, because I can't find one that uses the same resistance as the one I have and It's going to throw off my gauge.

Thanks!!

--Matt

I can't make out the picture but what I've found is that one lead goes in and is wound around a form and comes back out to a ground connection. Power from the dash voltage regulator, around 7-8 volts, travels through this 'resistanc coil', which is about 80 ohms, and this would read empty. Also the arm with the float is grounded and rubs against the bare wire coil, so the path to ground changes with the fuel height. When full, the arm is up near the top and only a small amount of coil is used, about 10 ohms, and this will read FULL. As the float drops the resistance increases and the gauge drops toward EMPTY.

Because these sender designs are likely very expensive to certify as safe for use in the hazardous location of a fuel tank it's almost sure that one design is used in almost all Nissans and only the tank and float changes. When I installed my 720 tank in my 620 it worked just fine.

I think it would be best if you got another sender and swapped your float arm onto it. Be sure to replace the neoprene O ring.