1970 521 wheel brake cyclinders

Hello, I am needing to replace all four brake cyclinders on my truck and am also looking for a carrier bearing for it as well...the shop its at is haveing trouble locating these parts...if anyone has any ideas or thoughts or the parts I would greatly appreciate it.

Ronnie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fronts and the rears come in 3/4 and 13/16 sizes. Try the dealer? If really desperate try to locate rebuild kits. The hanger bearing seldom fails. What does happen is the rubber 'donut' rots away and allows the front drive shaft to wobble and vibrate. These are now unavailable. I removed mine and wrapped a strip of rubber from a conveyor belt around the stationary bearing part. After a few tries I got it right and clamped it down in place. There was an immediate improvement and although it was meant as a temporary band-aid, it worked so well I left it alone and never changed it.

They might be available from Nissan, but the price will be not very competitive.

If you cannot get 521 wheel cylinders, you can use 620 wheel cylinders, but the 620 wheel cylinders will be metric, except for the bore size. If you do decide to do this, the flare nuts on the rear cylinders will have to changed to metric 10 x 1 threads, the stock 521 uses a 3/8 x 24 thread, if you also change the fitting the bleeder screw and brake line screw into. You might be able to use a metric hollow bolt to hold a 521 bleeder screw/brake line fitting to a 620 wheel cylinder. You will also need to get the correct nuts to hold the wheel cylinder to the brake plate.

With the front wheel cylinders, if you use 620 parts, you will need to also replace the flexible hose. If you still have the original flexible hose, it is not a bad idea to change it anyway.

thanks guys for the quick input...I have the truck at a local mechanic shop who is very good at what he does,,,,however like most people here in South East oklahoma he has never messed with an old Datsun...lol. I am gonna print off the comments made here and send to him. Thanks again, you guys are great and I can't wait to get my 521 going down the road.....it already looks good but once it is mechanically sound I am gonna restore the body and interior.

Again, thanks

Ronnie

Hello, I am needing to replace all four brake cyclinders on my truck and am also looking for a carrier bearing for it as well...the shop its at is haveing trouble locating these parts...if anyone has any ideas or thoughts or the parts I would greatly appreciate it.

Ronnie

If you don't mind after market, they should be readily available at your local auto parts store. I got them that way about a year ago. about $20 each. You could also check www.RockAuto.com. Looks like they have front for $21.99, and rears for $16.70. For a little more, they show one with the fitting too. I'd try that one because I didn't have much luck finding the replacement fittings (don't know if it really comes with the fitting though).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.