Duralast Suspension Opinion

I am replacing the suspension and steering components on my 510. The ball joints and tie rods are moog suspension parts, the idler arm I got from Rock Auto cant recall the brand, but I want to replace the center link. Any comments on the Duralast Brand center link. Its 49.99 at the autozone website.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duralast generally doesn't last. Generally crap, at least from what I've seen. You can order the center link from rareparts.com or take the rare parts number to your local NAPA, and they can order it for you. I just got one a month or two back, haven't put it on yet.

Autozone is trying to have their own company manufacturing everything, much like NAPA does with the Balkamp line of parts. And even some of our Balkamp parts are less than quality, I would say. Most are decent, but it's like anything, you have to inspect it. I would be curious to know if Autozone is remaking that center link, or if they got Moog or someone else to run a few thousand of them for a test selling.

I have had mixed experience with Duralast products, some are decent, some are utter junk. The main thing to remember when buying cheap auto parts, is what are they made out of? Generally, you don't want to buy a part that relies on Chinese steel or aluminum, or Chinese silicone or rubber products. Even with US and Mexican parts quality at an all time low, the base materials are often better.

If it is a component you need to work, try to get Japanese or 100% made in the USA stuff...for suspension boots and the like, cheap brands I have had good luck with has been from companies like Energy Suspension and Raybestos parts. I have also had good luck with MOOG suspension products so far(owned by Fed. Mogul).

Hmm, maybe it will be a good piece. I may have to order one to compare to the rare parts one I have. The stock flat rubber washer is correct for the application. You'll see why when you install. Just make sure the old one comes off so you don't have two doubled up.

Hmm, maybe it will be a good piece. I may have to order one to compare to the rare parts one I have. The stock flat rubber washer is correct for the application. You'll see why when you install. Just make sure the old one comes off so you don't have two doubled up.

Thanks, I did see that its a flat rubber washer when I removed the centerlink from the pitman arm today. I thought it was a boot like on the tie rod ends. I will hopefully have this stuff in tommorow I have to clean up the steering box.

The box is made in the USA! The parts might say something else. No lie!!!! I think they switch boxes... A company makes them and they just slap on the box 1/2 of the time.

This is what i know. There have been some suspension recalls from there parts they have sold. Cant find proof on line but I have seen the store announcements. I had had some parts go bad on me but they keep changing suppliers its hard to know if the parts is from the same maker the second time around.

For example! I have a 1966 ford mustang with lower control arms that I bought with them with lifetime warranty. The first time around they were garbage so I brought them in and got the warranty. The second time around they were of a better quality!

It just depends i guess... Buy it. If it looks cheap then it is and ask for your money back...

The box is made in the USA! The parts might say something else. No lie!!!! I think they switch boxes... A company makes them and they just slap on the box 1/2 of the time.

tommy boy:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.