worth of my swapped dime that needs new shortblock?

LeX

I live in the SE USA in GA, where there are almost no 510s around at all so at least the market isn't flooded.

Saturday it cracked a piston (we think) we always have had problems with this bottom end with problems with the back cylinder firing from day 1. We got it working but I guess it was always bad (thanks Jhot imports!)

I don;t know that I have the time for at least 3 months to do any work on it. How much of a hit do you guys think i'm going to take on selling this. Any ideas of what a car like this would go for.

The motor turns over and runs, but needs a block.

All the electronics are good and the head is pretty new. Only thing is swapping out a new shortblock (found some local for 300)

1972 datsun 510 wagon with title

redtop SR

5spd tranny

new tranny mount and bushings

new stage 3 clutch

emance tuned ECU

megan exhaust manifold

FP 20g turbo with 8cm exhaust housing

braided oil feed line

3" downpipe

full 3" exhaust w new muffler and flex section

550cc injectors

MSD high flow fuel pump

blocks in back

280zx front struts

lowering springs

NOS koni adjustable inserts

slotted rotors

staggered flat black rota wheels 15x7/8 0 offset with pretty new 195 50 15 fuzion zri tires

black interior - Z car front seats, headliner intact.

battery relocation to back footwell.

evo8 FMIC

aluminum racing radiator

blitz SS blowoff valve

fuel pressure gauge

N62 maf with 6" filter K&N

external wastegate @1bar with dump tube

electric fan

oil filter relocation kit

any ideas from you guys that have sold cars with issues how much of a loss I would take over running condition? I'd be willing to sell it below cost of parts (and of course tons of little parts not listed lol)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't sell I would keep it. wagons that are in good to decent shape are getting tough to find let alone swapped with a SR motor. I would just store the car for a while and save up and get another longblock and pop back in.

I wouldn't sell I would keep it. wagons that are in good to decent shape are getting tough to find let alone swapped with a SR motor. I would just store the car for a while and save up and get another longblock and pop back in.

I'd like to do that, I'm just going to have to pay my friend storage fees if I do that haha and who knows when I would get the time and money

A decent SR20 is going to cost $1200 to $1500 and then all the labor to pull it, swap all the stuff from yours and reinstall it. So figure on $2000 - $2500 or so in what it would cost to have it fixed by someone else.. Doing it yourself would cut that alot but someone wanting to buy it would like want more then that off.

How much did you think it was worth before the engine went bad?

A decent SR20 is going to cost $1200 to $1500 and then all the labor to pull it, swap all the stuff from yours and reinstall it. So figure on $2000 - $2500 or so in what it would cost to have it fixed by someone else.. Doing it yourself would cut that alot but someone wanting to buy it would like want more then that off.

How much did you think it was worth before the engine went bad?

yeah it looks like i'm just going to keep it and fix it when I can.. Just going to buy a shortblock as the head is good and all electronics and parts are good.

In this economy right now I'd expect to get around 6k for it if it were running, but I wouldn't want to sell it under 8k . In a good economy and car running 100%, i'd hope to get 8k

That is a good decision but for me I would just try to get a complete longblock and swap over and sell off the old head and or remaining parts. saves a lot of time and no hassle of all that head swapping. in and out. yeah i would not take anything less that 6k or even 8k at that. I have seen some cars with just a L series go for 6k and up but bodies are clean.

a running car will always be worth more.

in need of a rebuild is almost the same as not running.

saves a lot of time and no hassle of all that head swapping.

maybe thats the thing to do w/a shortblock ;)

the Z24 crank needs attention, otherwise... :thumbup:

yeah and if you tryed to sell it not running you looking at like 3k if that!!

haha yeah I wouldn't sell it for 3k regardless of the situation lol, I could part it out for 5k!

Just fix it man! I'll give you my old pistons and rods for the cost of shipping if you need it. You will regret it if you sold it man.

see If I can!. I have a new kid and i'm trying to buy a house right now so there's little room for a motor rebuild hehe