Thermostat housing thread

Short version

I have an upper thermostat housing on the way. Anyone happen to know what the thread should be? I assumed metric but someone told me they might be british standard. I'd like to use and aftermarket temp guage I bought that has standard and some metric adapters.

Long version

The reason I ask is because my original one had an aftermarket standard in it that wasn't working when I got the car. A friend of mine gave me one of his and actually put it in for me while I was doing something else, also standard. Well his didn't last long because I never secured it to anything so I was replacing it again the right way this time. At some point the thermostat housing cracked because I no longer have anything to thread into thus the replacement. Obviously I'd rather not do that again.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lower state housing

for 510s 11061-21000(no hole)

11061-P0300(with bypass hole)

Nut Holds stock brass sender 16mm 25251-37700

best opetion is to get a L20 lowr houing as they have maybe 2 outlets to use.

nothing wrong with the stock temp gauge.

What happens is the 16mm nut that holds the brass sender is usually corrode in the housing and one tries to take it off it will crack. So if you dont have extra housing I would avoid trying to pull one out unless neccesary

Lower state housing

for 510s 11061-21000(no hole)

11061-P0300(with bypass hole)

Nut Holds stock brass sender 16mm 25251-37700

best opetion is to get a L20 lowr houing as they have maybe 2 outlets to use.

nothing wrong with the stock temp gauge.

What happens is the 16mm nut that holds the brass sender is usually corrode in the housing and one tries to take it off it will crack. So if you dont have extra housing I would avoid trying to pull one out unless neccesary

Awesome thanks hainz. I believe the housing I'm getting is l20, it should show up today I think. I looked for the wiring (just a little bit) for the stock gauge and I think he may have clipped and tucked it somewhere. Can't find anything that would have been long enough.

Thanks!

This is an educated guess based on a 1971-1971 wiring diagram, for a 510. Look for a yellow wire with a white stripe, in the same bundle as the two wires that go to the dual point distributer, coming from the drivers left core support, by the radiator. It it hard to see the white on the yellow wire, so if you find a wire that is just yellow, that might be it. If you are still not sure, turning the key on, and hooking a grounded test light up to the wire in question should cause the light to glow very dimly, and the temp gauge to go up.

Cool thanks Daniel. A friend is going to stop by sometime soon to help me with a bit of wiring and I'll be sure to pass on the info. I have a ton of loose wiring not connected to anything I'd like to get cleaned up. :angry: