Z22 water pump pulley (no fan clutch)?

doc

Hi guys - I've decided to convert to an electric radiator fan set-up and eliminate the existing fan clutch set-up on my 82 720 with auto trans and Z22 motor. Which water pump pulley do I look for? - Thanks in advance. I'm hoping this is going to be simple wink.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pulley is integral so you will have to replace the water pump with one that takes the removable pulley, so...

Just trim the clutch off. Stay about 1/8" away from the pressed on pulley and you will be fine.

Here's mine. I left the bearing on this one but with careful trimming you can remove it too.

720stuffZ24swap004Large.jpg

The pulley is integral so you will have to replace the water pump with one that takes the removable pulley, so...

Just trim the clutch off. Stay about 1/8" away from the pressed on pulley and you will be fine.

Here's mine. I left the bearing on this one but with careful trimming you can remove it too.

Datzenmike - Thank you! - My first inclination was to simply purchase a waterpump for a manual trans vehicle with no fan clutch and then just call a couple of wreckers specializing in Datsun/Nissan and find a pulley. NO Problem - or so, I thought. One guy came up with a pulley, alright - the bolt pattern was the same but the offset sure wasn't. Eyeballing it, it appeared to be the correct unit though upon further inspection when I returned home the misalignment between it and the harmonic balancer became apparent prompting more head scratching and a couple of choice expletives to be hurled upon the two incompatible components. I was going to pursue the issue and attempt locating the correct components when I decided to search the net. Sure glad I did and something I should have done from the get-go. - Your expertise on these vehicles is commendable datzenmike and I'm glad I've found this forum - I used to frequent the yahoo venue and was lamenting its loss when I found this one. A very good thing.

How did you go about trimming the fan clutch off -

Regards,

Doc

To do it regular like, you need a '69 water pump and pulley. That's what I have on my L20B. Shouldn't be that hard to find. Just get an early Datsun L16 motor and grab those parts off.

Not to contradict Datzenmike, but I don't like the idea of sheering off the fan clutch, though if you're careful I'm sure it can be done. I'd recommend a dremel with a cutoff wheel if you go that route. Mike?

The front comes off and the silicone oil leaks out. Then I used an angle grinder to score it across and just snapped it off the bearing. On one I did the same to the bearing and took it off in pieces and then carefully trimmed the nub.

720stuff002Large.jpg

Do NOT trim this close to the pulley like below!

720stuff003Large.jpg

Stock L series pump.

Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Stock Z series pump. Larger cavity and bigger vanes on the impeller:

motorLwaterpump.jpg

The choice is obvious.

The reason the pulley didn't line up might be that it was off a Z car. 4 and 6 pulleys don't line up in some cases.

The front comes off and the silicone oil leaks out. Then I used an angle grinder to score it across and just snapped it off the bearing. On one I did the same to the bearing and took it off in pieces and then carefully trimmed the nub.

720stuff002Large.jpg

Do NOT trim this close to the pulley like below!

720stuff003Large.jpg

Stock L series pump.

Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Stock Z series pump. Larger cavity and bigger vanes on the impeller:

motorLwaterpump.jpg

The choice is obvious.

The reason the pulley didn't line up might be that it was off a Z car. 4 and 6 pulleys don't line up in some cases.

Finding a pulley was a real pain. The bolt spacing is different from that of the six cylinder cars. Mike, I like the idea of using the z series pump if it's just a simple upgrade but I'm afraid the pulley I have wont work, unless that pump also has a modifiable/removeable fan clutch? ... HRH's suggestion seems simple enough also.- Thanks for all of the info guys, it's appreciated.

Doc

This is my how-to for a z24, i'm assuming it's the same for a z22.

I hope it helps atleast one person, if so, I did my job.

http://infamousnissa...read.php?t=7415

Great information there with one caveat. There are indeed different dimensions and offsets amongst the SOHC water pump pulleys. The six cylinder cars have a correspondingly wider bolt pattern on the pulley than the z-22 (don't know about the z24) but I purchased a pulley for a z-car and it didn't work - next I located an '84 Maxima with a 2.4 six which had a pulley identical to the z-car's so I didn't bother pulling it.

Now, honestly, I don't know what the heck the pump I have fits. Physically, it's identical to the one currently on the motor minus the fan clutch of course. I just went down to the local auto-zone and asked for a water pump for an '82 720 without a fan clutch. They had no less than four of the fan clutch type in stock and only one of the standard non-clutch type so, of course I buy that pup and head over to our local nissan only wrecking yard who promptly informs me that "No 720 ever came without a fanclutch waterpump, that's an aftermarket (?) pump but I may have something off of another application that might work" - hmmm, okay. --- So, I bought a pulley he had which was correct for the pump hub but the offset is such that it puts the belt on the innermost (closest to the block) groove on the harmonic balancer with no way to adjust the belt.

It was at this point that I decided to do some more on-line reasearch which led me to datzenmike and you folks here.

The board wont allow me to post pictures so here's a link depicting the pulley differences.

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/krautman1/Datsun%20720/

Doc

Solved my boggle. Just bought a pump for a Z-car. Thought about trimming the clutch off but opted for the increased volume of the Z unit. Thanks to all who helped.

Doc