L20b timing issue

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Common reason- the oil pump drive spindle is a tooth off.

2nd common reason: Wrong pedestal for the dist (like using a points pedestal on a EI dist... they fit, but with the wrong clocking)

Wait... almost hitting the WHAT? The lift eyes aren't anywhere near the dist on an L-series... front one is behind the fuel pump, rear one is next to the firewall.

There are 2 bolts that can adjust the distributor on my 510, I know you have a truck but most distributore are interchangeable in L series engines. When I say most are interchangeable is because of single point will only work with pertronix system.

back to the distributor. One bolt adjust your timing and the other one which is underneath the distributor can adjust your play..have you tried this one yet. Is this a new distributor? Did you install a new oil pump? if so maybe you are off a tooth or so. Let us know what happened.

YOu can go by feel and get a 8mm box or end end and loosen it.

loosen the 10mm hold down one also and you should be able to move the dist a great amount. and hopefully have enought movement.

One thing if the vacuum canister is going to hit anything is you can take the pedastal that mounts on the timming cover and move it 180deg so that tang is pointing in the oppisite side. But you have to move your spark plg wires as your cap will be moved 180deg.