Looking ideas on fixin TJ's wagon that I just bought

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas they could share with me on what they would do with the wagon that I purchased that was TJ's wagon. Its got the KA24de and its a blast to drive. I had no idea when I bought the car that the engine would be such a power house:D

Anyway it seems that a lot of effort was put into the swap and coilovers in the front and etc, but the body sure has a lot of wrinkles and rust. I was wondering how much money I should throw at a car in this condition. I have in my mind that $3000, labor and materials to have someone else do it, for rust abatement and some paint but nothing show or fancy, but not primer black either. I feel like I have an obligation to POR 15 the rust, but I'd like some feedback on how to do it without making it a huge project that never gets done. I've decided to forget the removing the wrinkles, at least most of the smaller ones. I'd like it to look, well, a little bit Ratty, or maybe cool Ratty. I can throw other money on fixin stuff like door locks and etc. sorry for the long post. Thanks, Neil

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that it depends on the level of cancer.If you can sand it down to bare metal and not pop a hole in the panel than you can primer/seal it and go from there.Krylon grey primer is a great metal sealer.If there is a bunch of cancer it would be best to have a pro do it but Por 15 is a good thing to do to preserve things until you can get it repaired.

TJ did the swap in that wagon because it is relatively rust free for a wagon :D I think the white makes the rust look worse to. If you put her in the garage and spend a lot of time taking all the trim off and sanding it really good. Maybe block it, then spray a nice new coat of white it will look top notch :D 3k will do it for sure if you do everything yourself. Labor is always the majority of the cost. You should start a project thread so we can follow the progress :D

Thanks guys for the info. I got out the POR15 tonight. I'll do a bit at a time, and work on other small things too. I'll work on a project thread. Living in Wenatchee doesn't give a person many options for getting parts or taking it in to have any work done to her. Ezra told me about Auto hero in Woodenville. That trip may wait, as the white Cascade curtain is moving down in elevation everyday now. Thankfully not a lot of engine or tranny stuff to do anyway. I have a list. I'll keep posting for more info on other things. Thanks again:)