my 85 720st in process

last night i was cruising Datzen Mike's posts, and found great info on truck LSD, then on my way to a beaverton ratsun meet, i realized that my truck would not get traction for shit.... today i got a bit of a wild hair and went to sherwood pnp and started looking under hardbody trucks and pathfinders looking for the ilusive LSD sticker, i spun axles and came up with open diff.... found a pretty nice pathfinder with an LSD sticker disc brakes and 4.63 (or so) gears, the gears wont be too great on the highway, but thats the price we payhyper.gif

just 111$ for everything in the pics.

DSCF2215.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

DSCF2217.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

DSCF2218.jpg

i thought about taking the five link setup also, and welding the brackets onto my frame, that would give me some pretty good suspension, but i will just stick with leaf springs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i preffer wider, get my tires out a little more for that mean stance, kinda like the front of your dime. i will pull the tires off my truck tommorow for some really good measurements, i will let everyone know the width of everything

so i just took some pretty good measurements, and the pathy is 2.5 inches wider... stock 720 is 56" and pathy 58.5"

Edited by sinner720st

so i started grinding on the pathy rear end last night, didnt get too far before one of the neighbors walked out, normally i wouldnt care but, i kinda didnt want to do it anyway... there is so much shit to grind off its hard to get the grinder down on the weld to cut

So this weekend i got some good stuff done on the pathy rear end, too bad i have to work tomorrow, or else i would just aboot have that bitch in

first i had to get all the five link brackets off and grind the welds down, i found the fastest way of cutting this thickish metal was to use a sawzall with a fine metal blade

DSCF2225.jpg

i took all the mounts off except the sway bar mount, and brake line stuff, that sway bar is massivehyper.gif

DSCF2226.jpg

i then set the axle plumb at the driveline flange, and upside down since i will be welding the perches on the bottom of the axle

DSCF2227.jpg

here are the perches i bought from central four wheel drive, they stock them so no waiting $18

DSCF2229.jpg

i then found center of the axle so that i can center up my perches, if you dont your truck will crab walk in the rear.

i also measure three different ways to make sure the width of the perches were correct for my truck

DSCF2230.jpg

DSCF2232.jpg

tach six per perch then make sure they are perfect then buzz them on there, make sure your welder is able to weld 3/16" + steel, you dont want these breaking off. im using a 220V Hobart wire feed welder

DSCF2233.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and some pictures of the work i got done with the pathy rear end over the weekend

the paint i used is a rustoleum metallic rattle can... layd very nice, no unevennes

P1010199.jpg

P1010200.jpg

in this photo you can see a faint outline of an iron cross, im planning on painting it in in a slightly lighter color

P1010201.jpg

all thats left is to rebuild the calipers and fill with diff fluidbiggrin.gif.... should be in as soon as this whole hawaii work thing is overwith

• 1 month later...

UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!

so this last weekend i actually got something done... i rebuilt my calipers for the pathy rear axle (not fun) worth the money saved... painted some more, and get hardware for the calipers

P1010204.jpg

you can see how sweet of u setup i have for a shop (laugh.gif NOT), i have like three little projects going ATM

P1010205.jpg

And now for the other thing, i have been messing with my carb and noticed that the throttle shaft was a little wobbly in its bore. So i ordered one set of throttle shaft bearings, two idle jets (diff. sizes for tuning) and a SYNCHRONOUS KIT!!! (installed today after work, and went for a test drive thumbup.gif)

a couple pictures of the linkage, cause i know there are a couple people with questions

P1010206.jpg

P1010207.jpg

now for the new parts

P1010208.jpg

P1010209.jpg

P1010210.jpg

for your informaton, i had to file the inside of the secondary sliding linkage to get the pin so it glides back and forth, i also had to bend the secondary slide linkage so it will clear the primary idle stop linkage, before they were rubbing, i like how smooth everything is now, and the bearings deffinately helped.

P1010211.jpg

P1010212.jpg

so i first took off and my idle is a little high (1000 rpm, i like it at aboot 800) but no big deal, it runs pretty smooth for not tuning it. turn right at the stop sign into a 25mph speed zone, but kind of stand on it nonetheless and it sits me back in my seat, i emidiately start to grin from cheek to cheek. cruise out of the 25 zone right into a 55 mph zone, roll on the throttle and again, awesome response...

i would say the synchro kit helps a lot coming off a stop, or pulling out of a corner. it feels amazing, and breaks the tires loose way easier. now i just need to bolt that rear axle in to regain traction

• 3 weeks later...

just a huge update for the good ol' 720...

new rear end is in, has ben for two weeks now, slides oh so good

and pics to follow suit

just sittin and waiting

P1010215.jpg

got the old one out, not to hard

P1010214.jpg

H-190

P1010213.jpg

new one in, pathfinder rearend, with LSD, discs, and 4.60 gears

P1010216.jpg

bolting up the new one inch shorter driveline

P1010217.jpg

overall view

P1010220.jpg

the funny things that happen, my left tire is flush and my right tire is under wheel well. took some measurements and my rear axle is within 1/8" of perfect center as measured from fram to wheel on both sides, then measue my bed, it is off by quite a bit, then heres the kicker... measured the cab to frame, and its off by almost 5/8", so i got some lineup shit to do to make everything look right.

on the good side, i dont lose traction in hard corners, and when i want to get sideways, it just takes a small pop of the clutch. all in all, i give this addition thumbup.gif

• 2 months later...

uhh. about 8 hrs. just started with cutting mounts off, then the file to get all stuff knocked down i didnt like. then 260 grit, then 500 wet, 1000 wet, coarse polish compound, then fine compound. picked the compound up from harbor freight for next to nothing