need mechanic advice 2000 xterra

so my wife has a 200 xterra v6 4x4. the other day it popped a p0135 code. bank one sensor one heater circuit. so fine, i replaced the o2 as the truck has some normal wear and tear and it idles alot. i clear the code. take it for a drive. re-start and bam, code is back. check o2 voltage and resistance and its fine. so do some reading and says it could be an open in the circuit. any common spots this happens in the harness? i know there is a nissan tech on the site somewhere but couldnt remeber his name.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They occasionally have grounding issues, I'd pull the ones on the plenum and clean them, like sssr20det510 says its the right hand side one, see bank1 bank2 cause people confusion all the time. Heres is the wiring diagram so you can check for a broken wire. Nothing common tho.

edit: It does sound like a broken wire, when the sensors bad it normally take a few drive cycles to set the code, not right away.

135.gif

Don't some have coaxial cable with the outer sheath grounded to the exhaust manifold to assure a good ground return circuit?

Can't recall seeing that on a Nissan. They have little ground straps that go from the body to the manifold. The main ground to the p/s pump bracket and the efi harness grounds are the ones on the plenum

i have the diagrams, but thanks. luckily i have the factory manual on pdf. so b1s1 is the pass side? the confusion is probably from domestics. there b1s1 is drivers side. hmmm i may have checked the wrong one also. well i believe the sensors are interchangable side for side, so i may try that if i cant verify any breaks.

just doublr checked o2 placement. i changed out the wrong o2. jap stuff is backwards as they see it from a rhd persective. i guess thats what happens when you do mostly domestic problems as most jap stuff never needs it until the mileage is uber high. im gonna go recheck from a different vantage point.

prolly just wire length, im gonna check voltage and resistance before pulling it out anyway. im thinging it may be the o2, the wires are all nicely tied up for most harnesses and breakages prolly arent that common. on my scanner the voltage was varying from .110 to .610. manual says they average at .4. just kinda chesses me off. ive been a fleet mechanic for 7 years, 90% on domestics. im just hard on myself i guess

It has been 3+ years since I worked at a Nissan dealership, but as I recall there was a bulletin for V6 Frontiers and Xterras throwing O2 sensor codes due to water and corrosion in the weatherpack connectors.

this is not the one I was thinking of but check it out

Electrical - MIL ON/O2 Sensor DTC's Set

Notes

Classification:

EC98-030B

Reference:

NTB99-004B

Date:

November 30, 2004

1996-00 PATHFINDER, 1999-2004 FRONTIER (V-6) AND 2000-

2004 XTERRA (V-6); MIL "ON" WITH 02 SENSOR DTCs

This amended version of NTB99-004 updates the Applied Vehicle Information Section. Please discard all This amended version of NTB99-004 paper copies of NTB99-004.

APPLIED VEHICLES:

1996-00 Pathfinder (R50)

1999-2004 Frontier (V-6 Engine Only)

2000-2004 Xterra (V-6 Engine Only)

IF YOU CONFIRM

If an applicable vehicle shows the MIL "ON" and one or more of the following DTCs are stored in ECM:

- 96-97 MY Pathfinder vehicle: DTC P0130, P0150, P0136, or P0156

- 98-00 MY Pathfinder vehicle: DTC P0131, P0134, P0138, P0140, P0151, P0154, P0158, P0160

- 99-01 MY Frontier (V-6 Engine Only) or 00-01 MY Xterra (V-6 Engine Only) vehicle:

DTC P0131, P0134, P0138, P0140, P0151, P0154, P0158, P0160

- 02-04 MY Frontier (V-6 Engine Only), 02-04 MY Xterra (V-6 Engine Only)

DTC P1143, P0134, P0138, P1163, P0154, P1146, P1166, P0158

ACTION

Use the Service Procedure in this bulletin to diagnose and repair the incident (if it should occur).

^ Perform a voltage drop test to check for a poor "ground" condition.

^ If necessary install a sub-harness between the intake manifold and the cylinder head to provide a direct path to "ground".

IMPORTANT : The purpose of "ACTIONS" (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the entire Service Procedure as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.

PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION

Submit a Primary Failed Part (PP) line using the claims coding shown.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check for poor grounding using a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM).

^ You'll measure the voltage drop between the intake manifold ground bolt for the engine harness and the right hand (RH) cylinder head.

^ At engine warm idle, place the red meter lead on the intake manifold ground bolt for the engine ECCS harness and the black lead on RH cylinder head and measure the voltage.

A. If the voltage is less than 0.025V (25 millivolts), this bulletin does not apply. Use the ASIST & Electronic Service Manual to diagnose this incident.

B. If the voltage is above 0.025V (25 millivolts), install the sub-harness shown in Figure 1 to resolve the incident. Continue with step two of this bulletin.

2. Route the sub-harness from the RH cylinder head, on the existing ECCS harness. Route it towards the center front of the engine and then back towards the intake manifold collector (see Figure 2).

3. Find the two threaded holes in the RH cylinder head next to the negative battery cable attachment point. (see Figure 3)

^ Secure the sub-harness end with the two larger eyelets to these two threaded holes. (see Figure 3).

^ Use the two new hex bolts listed in the parts information to attach the sub-harness eyelets.

CAUTION :To prevent damage, the sub-harness must be positioned more than 70 mm (2.8 in.) from the exhaust manifold.

4. Now attach the sub-harness to the ECCS harness at four (4) places (see Figure 4) using the wiring clips listed in the parts information. Space the wiring clips out as shown in Figure 4.

5. Secure the sub-harness end with the two smaller eyelets. You'll attach them using two of the existing ground bolts located on the intake manifold (see Figure 3).

6. Trim the excess material from the newly installed wiring clips.

hmmmm, the diagrams didn't transfer. this repair involves a ground sub-harness part # 24075-0W060, but would be easy enough to make your own