Aftermarket steering wheel for a 510?

Spades

The factory steering wheel for my 72 510 wagon is cracked from sitting in a california field in the sun for 25 or 30 years. The cracks weren't near anything important so I used epoxy to fill them in to last untill I had enough $$$ to look for a replacement.

I don't like the idea of cracked plastic being the control function of my car, so I need a replacement. I would rather get a aftermarket steering wheel than the ugly factory job.

Anyone know if Grant or another company makes a steering wheel that will bolt on without any milling of an adapter or major custom work? Is there a wheel out there that won't affect the auto canceling of the turn signal?

I am sure alot of you have been down this road before, so I will draw apoun your experience!

thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like and use momo and sparco as they fit and feel great and the hubs work very well. you can used Nardi and grant also. Nardi and sparco can use momo hubs. Grant is not bad for the money. I think you can also use a 240Z steering wheel also. and in the case you are looking for a momo hub you can use the Z car momo hubs also on a 510

Grant should still sell the adapter for the 510's.

Also know this. Ive had the same Grant wheel on my old 521, 620 & 510 wagon. Meaning that the hubs have the same spline count.

One of the wheels i bought at the yard came off a 280 z,,fits all my Datsun's.

Also if you can find a 720 ST model,,the hub will fit your 510 & they have a nice factory fancy steering wheel.

P.S. the 720 ST hub will accept a Nardi steering wheel, i know cause im running that combo on my 620 now.

I installed a new Grant 13" wheel in my wagon a few weeks ago. It has a nice feel, definitely changes the feel of the car in a good way. Would have rather had a "nicer" wheel, like a MOMO or Nardi but I got the Grant brand new in box for $40, couldn't pass it up. I got the adaptor from Summit, It was around $25 shipped, came in 2 days. They should have plenty in stock, as my friend just ordered one as well.

4206947623_8035ec6c57.jpg

I just installed a grant unit tonight. I bought a 13.5" wheel so it was a bit closer to the stock wheel in size( the one in my wagon was just over 15" across). The install wasn't too bad...the product could have been a bit better, but for under $50 for the adapter kit and wheel from one of my local parts suppliers, I suppose I can't complain too much! I will try to get pic's up soon.