Found A15, could use.....

I picked up a good A15(supposedly) from a 310 front drive. I'm going to use it in a rear drive and could use a rear drive oil pan if anyone has one. Has to have the dimples for rod clearance that A15 engines need. Also could use a early front crank pulley and a points distributor if anyone has them lying around.

Thanks, Kurt.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ Thanks for the input but engine came without dizzy and I don't have the rest of the electronics for the "match box" nor the knowledge. I do know points and condenser and though they may require a little maintenance I know they won't leave me stranded. Willing to learn though. I think this engine probably had the advance and retard mechanism (vacuum) as well and that is going to be eliminated.

How about the other stuff?

Thanks again, Kurt.

The matchbox comes with the distributor and is easier to wire up, and easier to install than the points distributor. It is 100 times more reliable and has never left anyone stranded like has happened to some with the points distributor. Plus the have better advance curves.

The are no Cons to the matchbox, there are only Pros.

Either way when buying a distributor check for these two things:

* Advance plate bearing are not broken. Use a vacuum pump to see if it moves smoothly and look for ball bearings lying down inside. Pass on it if you see them

* Vacuum advance diaphragm holds vacuum. 90% of used distributors perhaps have this, at they are $35-$100 to replace depending on the year.

* Additional thing to check for points distributor: Check for play in the shaft, you should feel zero side-to-side play. I've never seen a an electronic one that had any, but points distributors sometimes get this because of the cam I suppose. Also the shaft can appears move if the plate bearings are bad as the plate that holds the points is floating on the bearings.

Thanks ggzilla for the info. By matchbox I suppose you mean the dizzy with the square molded box on the side. I have one off a A14 but it is rusted up and froze with no vacuum movement. It has a hose to both sides of the diaphram and I suppose it was designed to both advance and retard for smog purpose's. Anyway I'm lost on this and the books I have don't cover it well. I'm going to get rid of all smog stuff on the engine and change carb's as well.

Thanks, anyone with a pan and pulley?

Thanks again ggzilla, I studied up more on the matchbox. Looks like the way to go. For some reason I was thinking it required a separate ignition module or ECU hook up but does not. Only thing I am a litle concerned about is the coil. This engine is going in a MG midget with no provision in the switch for ballast resistor which I suppose this is designed for. Probably not a problem but coil requirements for non ballast system is different.

I'm going to try to salvage the one I've got.

Thanks again,

Kurt.

This engine is going in a MG midget with no provision in the switch for ballast resistor which I suppose this is designed for.
ah, the MG sounds just right for a matchbox distributor. It does not require a ballast. Just get a $2 coil from any 1980s vehicle (the kind without a ballast). You can't do that with a points distributor.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.