Datsun 620 5 Speed Confirmation

sicAsic

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its around 28 inches long from bell housing face to tail. And your truck has the stock 4 speed not the Z four speed YES. The Z 4 and 5 speeds were around 31 or 32 inches long. The short 510 and truck 4 speeds and the dogleg 5 speed is around 28 to 29 inches long from the bell face to the end of the tail.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=5-Speeds

This page is great its for 210's but the transmission sources are the same.

short tail (trucks, 510 and dogleg) ~26.3 inches

long tail (Z's) 31.5

about 4 inches different. If the two transmissions are within 1 inch of each other in length I would not worry about it.

-Dime

A 1980 200SX (S110) did not have a dogleg. It had the long-tail standard-pattern 71B type transmission that's angled wrong for the L-series since the 1980 200SX had a Z20E engine.

A '77-79 200SX (S10) transmission is what you want, it's the right length, but the transmission mount is in a different location and the speedo cable is on the opposite side.

A 1980 200SX (S110) did not have a dogleg. It had the long-tail standard-pattern 71B type transmission that's angled wrong for the L-series since the 1980 200SX had a Z20E engine.

I put a wrong angled trans in before, ended up changing the bellhousing.

The Z car transmission is stronger, cheaper and way easier to find. Rebuild parts are somewhat on the cheap side and quite available but most also fit the other transmissions. I have found a number of Z 5 speeds in the junkyards. Pick and pull charges between $50 and $75. I have not seen a dogleg for under $200 in my area. There are even a few guys on craig's list asking nearly $500 for them in the bay area. If you broke that dog leg's case it will take you some time to find a replacement. If you did this with the Z 5speed you may find a whole transmission to replace it with the same day. Saving $150 to later cost you a ton of time and money is not much of a saving if you ask me.

If I could run the Z 5speed in my truck it would be there already. To bad a Dana 20 transfer case is in the way of the extra few inches.

-Dime

My 521 had a Z car five speed transmission. No issues I remember attaching the transmission to the engine, or with the clutch.

The rear transmission mount reaches forward to hold the transmission, from the crossmember. I shortened it to match the five speed mounting pad.

The hole in the floor plate that the shifter goes through was moved back.

The front yoke on the driveshaft was changed, the Z five speed uses a slip yolk, the 521 stock transmission is a bolted on flange.

The driveshaft was shortened.

I used a speedometer cable from a Z-car

Do you have to cut/enlarge the body shifter hole when fitting these longer 5-speeds?

Yes, Its not as bad as it sounds though.

Most of the swap guides list that the Z speed's shifter is about 4 inches further back. The original shifter was pretty close to the center of a pretty big hole. You may have to trim a small rectangle out of the back side of the shifter hole. Maybe a 2x4 inch rectangle for 2nd, 4th and Reverse. Your going to have to measure it while both the old and new shifter is each of those gears.

-Dime

I put a wrong angled trans in before, ended up changing the bellhousing.

Me too. When I was collecting parts for the 77 I found a 720 in the junkyard. The engine and core support were gone and there was a 5 speed still in it hanging from the trans mount. 2 bolts later the trans was on the ground in front of the truck and I was going to the window to pay for it. :D Drive 250 miles to get it home, slide it into position, bolt it to the engine, and WTF :blink: the shifter and trans mount are all kinds of crooked. I think that was the first time I realized the difference in the angles between L and Z engines. Wound up sacrificing a perfectly good low mile 4 speed to get the correct bellhousing.

Anyway the moral of the story is that it is easy to swap bellhousings around to get what you need.