280Z/ZX ECM tech

Z-train

I have been having an intermittent issue with the 810 shutting off for no reason.Also,it would go full rich and not start on other occasions.I'm partially bald now,thanks to this issue.

A tug on one of the wires entering the ECM would make the car start.So i went thru the connectors and all related stuff.STILL would shut off.At this point the wife is vacuuming hair out of the car on a daily basis.

Then i got the idea to take the ECM apart.And i found bad solder joints.In the pics you can see a row of solder joints(Xacto blade is pointing to them)Three of them were bad.The blades run thru the side of the box and then make a 90 degree turn and "land"on a circuit board.WHen the joints failed,there was a"hole"with the pin in the middle-so a little tug would either make or break the circuit and shut the car off.Adding to this is the fact that the ECM is on the drivers kick panel and would be effected by the door slamming shut.

End result is so far so good.And there has been a slight change in the way the car runs.Really hard to quantify it.But the best i can come up with is,it's "smoother".So more than one issue was rectified with the re-soldering.You will need a magnifying glass to see ANYTHING on the board.

DSC00473.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good find :thumbup:

You will need a magnifying glass to see ANYTHING on the board.

:lol: thos solders arnt that bad, just a fine soldering tip, a drop of luquid flux, and a dab of solder.

and your good to good :D

0923081931.jpg

heres what I used to solder up at work

good find :thumbup:

:lol: thos solders arnt that bad, just a fine soldering tip, a drop of luquid flux, and a dab of solder.

and your good to good :D

I meant that you will need a magnifying glass to see the bad ones.If you don't know what to look for,you'll look right past them.

I meant that you will need a magnifying glass to see the bad ones.If you don't know what to look for,you'll look right past them.

ahhhhh, my bad :lol:

its also possible for solder to build up resistance if its been heated and cooled to many times.

(I had to build to aircraft specs) at work if I had to heat a solder joint up more than twice I had to scrap the whole piece.

• 7 months later...