L18 electronic ignition

xAH510x

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the electronic ignition. For a Pertronix conversion, you either use the stock coil (and the stock ballast resistor) or you get an internally-ballasted coil. For an OE electronic ignition, you use the coil that came with the setup. You can use the original points coil, BUT you have to retain the ballast resistor.

I've run the stock Nissan coil and a Magfire 40kV on my L18 - no noticeable difference. I like to use the most powerful coil I can - though some say the standard coil is just as good. Logic tells me if I can get more energy into the spark it's got to help power. I'm talking about joules here, not volts. Remember Pertronix can only take 4 amps, so, if you can, adjust your resistance to get the most out of it.

D-holic nailed it. Another way to tell the diff. between a points & EI coil is the size. A EI coil will be a bit taller & wider & some have the words "for use with electronic ignition" stamped on the side. Any Z or early Maxima that came with EI has coils that'll work.

• 3 weeks later...