1971 Datsun 510 KA24DE

JFK8317170

The Beginning...

This 1971 Datsun 510 in my current project since I picked it up in July 2008 after trading my 240sx/S13 Silvia SR20DET conversion project that I had from 2002-2008. The main reason why I traded for this particular 510 is that it already had the KA24DE swap done, or shall I say "done just to be installed and have the car run". Don't get me wrong, the car runs real good and strong, but the setup isn't clean enough for me. The suspension front and rear were both shot; along with both doors, windows, and all weatherstripping. The interior is also bare stripped except the pair of Tenzo R seats. The front suspension and brakes were already converted to 280zx disc brakes and coilovers. The rear brakes were already converted to 200sx/Maxima disc brakes. The rear shocks were also blown, and the differential upgraded with a R200 lsd. These are pics of the the car when I first got it in July 2008...

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

No More Bottoming Out!!!

My top priority was the suspension since it was pretty much shot and non-existent. The front suspension was already converted to coilovers. However, the spring seats were held on with clamps instead of being welded onto the strut tube. So I went to Troy Ermish Racing in Fremont, CA for my suspension needs. I bought his front + rear coilover kit with Tokico Illumina Blue struts for the front. All four corners have 200 lb springs. Check out the pics below.

Front + Rear Coilover Kit

tecoils-1.jpg

Front Coilovers

tefrontsusp.jpg

Rear Coilovers

terearsusp.jpg

Tokico Illumina Blue Struts

tokicoblue.jpg

With the new suspension installed the car has a nice feel. Smooth enough for daily driving but stiff enough for the track. Also the ride height is easily adjustable and customizable. On a scale of 0 (terrible) to 10 (great), I would rate these coilovers a 10. Thanks Troy!!!

Wiring Mess!!!

I was enjoying the new feel of driving with the new suspension installed. All of a sudden while driving, all of the gauges and their lights went out. When I got home and checked what happened, all the wiring from the gauges to the relay was burned. As I looked closer to what happened I noticed that none of the gauges were fused like they should. I also noticed that there were lots of loose wire ends and connections thats weren't insulated throughout the wiring harness. So now I can't drive the car until I sort out all the wiring and fix it. I started by buying a 510 wiring harness on eBay and started figuring out which wires weren't needed and started getting rid of them. Even with the wiring diagram and extra harness, if you have ever had to do a wiring job then you know how much of a headache and how frustrating it is.

Extra 510 Wiring Harness

510WiringHarness.jpg

Sorting out the wiring mess

IMG_0153.jpg

Wiring Diagram

510WiringDiagram.jpg

I started to get tired and frustrated after working on the wiring after a while. So I decided to take a break from that and do something else. The next thing I decided to do was much more simple than the wiring. Check out the pics below of the HKB boss kit, NRG black carbon fiber quick release kit, and Momo steering wheel.

HKB Boss Kit

IMG_0158.jpg

NRG Black/Carbon Fiber Quick Release Kit

IMG_0162.jpg

Momo Steering Wheel

IMG_0163.jpg

Intake, Radiator, Electric Fan

Still not ready to finish the wiring, I chose to do some work under the hood. I didn't like the KA24DE short ram intake which passes right over the top of the radiator across to the opposite side of the engine bay and angled to the back. So I bought a black 70 mm (2.75") silicon 90 degree elbow hose to replace the old intake pipe.

IMG_0107.jpg

I installed it so that the intake filter is angled down towards a hole in the engine bay floor so it can function as a ram + cold air intake. Since the car is pretty low to the ground, I believe that the engine will get more cooler air to breath. I plan to clean up the hole opening in the future with the rest body work.

IMG_0149.jpg

Next job was finding a new custom radiator and electric fan. After lots of measuring and searching, I found an all aluminum radiator for a CA18DET on eBay from roc_ilan. The radiator's overall measurements are 22" wide, 15" tall, and 1.75" thick. The radiator inlet/outlet measurement is 1.25" which is much smaller than KA24DE coolant inlet/outlet which measures 1.5". All I did is really tighten the hose clamps down until the new Spectre flexible radiator hoses wouldn't even budge.

CA18DET Aluminum Radiator with Jegs 10" Electric Fan

IMG_0106.jpg

Top View Installed

IMG_0150.jpg

Compare the engine pics below to the ones above of when I first got the car. I'm much happier with the new setup and look. What you think? I'm not done yet with cleaning up all the wiring yet but I will once I clean up the under dash wiring.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Edited by JFK8317170
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man i was wondering what happend to this car!!!

I sure do miss it I learnd alot from that car that was the first KA swap I did.

Heres a vid of the car in action

hope you learned to wire stuff up. that rats nest is awful

^^^ I did not do any of that wiring in the inside of the car, I bought it half finished from some swab here in SD.

the wiring i did you can see in the pics like the wires to the alt and the eng harnes all was clean work if i might ad (except that one lil white wire that was for my temp gauge i just ran real quick when i was runnning hot while on a trip i was on the road and wanted to keep my eye on the temp)... but yeah the rest of the cars wiring was a mess but it all worked and was installed by mckinney soo yeah thats his rats nest not mine!!!! but the most important part is when i had it everything worked for the car to run and drive and never gave me any problems and i put ALOT of miles on that car

I like the rad. up grade and the intake upgrade looks nice cant wait to see what you have in store for this car i know your going to do great things with it!

Edited by JDM510
^^^ I did not do any of that wiring in the inside of the car, I bought it half finished from some swab here in SD.

the wiring i did you can see in the pics like the wires to the alt and the eng harnes all was clean work if i might ad (except that one lil white wire that was for my temp gauge i just ran real quick when i was runnning hot while on a trip i was on the road and wanted to keep my eye on the temp)... but yeah the rest of the cars wiring was a mess but it all worked and was installed by mckinney soo yeah thats his rats nest not mine!!!! but the most important part is when i had it everything worked for the car to run and drive and never gave me any problems and i put ALOT of miles on that car

I like the rad. up grade and the intake upgrade looks nice cant wait to see what you have in store for this car i know your going to do great things with it!

The wiring job was done by McKinney as in McKinney Motorsports? That's a big surprise to me!!! I've only heard and seen high praises for McKinney Motorsports. I'm only an amateur hobbyist electrician and wouldn't rig up a big mess like this!!!

Yes i even took the car thier when i picked up all my uncles parts, and he said it was done by them a while back and was never finished then parted out and what not. When i got the car i just put whatever it took to drive the car in it and that was it! soo maybe inbetween me and mckinney some one did mess with it but for the most part i did not mess with none of the wiring inside the car.

Yes i even took the car thier when i picked up all my uncles parts, and he said it was done by them a while back and was never finished then parted out and what not. When i got the car i just put whatever it took to drive the car in it and that was it! soo maybe inbetween me and mckinney some one did mess with it but for the most part i did not mess with none of the wiring inside the car.

Well anyway it was a blessing in disguise that the fuses blew. If they didn't then I wouldn't have noticed the bad wiring job until much later or until something worse happened like a fire or something. Now I can clean everything up the way I want everything. So what's up with your dime?

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...