my first datsun

65dodge

i just bought a 1967 520 i had it for a week and it ran ok but now it wont start. i have checked all the wiring and timing but that is all good. i have come to the conclusion that it is in the carburetor witch i noticed is missing some linkage and the top gasket. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do i am thinking of putting a 4.3 v6 and a t5 in it but i need a quick fix so that i can get around

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is choke plate closing when starting it up cold????? Get choke working first or hold closed when cranking. Stay clear of carb in case of backfire... trust me on this.

OTHERWISE:

Take air filter off and look at sight glass in front of carb, is there fuel???

Yes there is gas visible: hold choke closed and crank start

No gas visible: gas in tank? change the inline fuel filter, probably due anyway.

Yes there is gas now: hold choke closed and start

Still no gas visible? remove the hose to the carb and crank, gas should spurt out so have a container to catch it...

Yes there is gas: Inlet screen or float valve plugged or stuck on carb. Remove inlet banjo fitting to clean brass screen and front sight glass to get at float needle to clean.

No gas: pump bad (unlikely) fuel line clogged with crap from tank (likely)

USE CAUTION:

Test pump: disconnect fuel hose from inline filter to fuel pump inlet and place end in a small bottle of gas. crank engine, gas should fill the carb...pump ok.

Blocked line: try blowing back into the hose behind the inline filter. This may dislodge the obstruction back into the tank. If this works it will likely plug again so install another inline filter just ahead of the tank to catch the debris. Check and change it often or remove tank and clean it.

Edited by datzenmike