Block Ventilation

79D50

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes...that was my thoughts as well because the lower part of the A87 is kind of hard to read as opposed to others I have seen...

My butt dyno sucks because my DD has 340 HP...but it seems to be pretty quick. I leaned out the carb a bit and it seems she picked up a little more umph on the top end. I am not really sure what all has been done to this motor....The PO wasn't exactly talkative or informative even though I fired off a million questions.

Edited by 79D50

well with drums you really gotta keep them adjusted, often.. mine are fuckin locked up (the adjuster), well one of em is.. so it kind sux.. i do have new shoes on there tho.. also my m/c isnt quite up to the task of powering the drums AND my big 2 piston pathfinder calipers.. i really should look into gettin a better m/c .. which reminds me.. im gettin some prepaid visas for xmas :)

i guess braap has a point but still he even says "its not ideal"

i would feel alot better about running it to a can over crimping it or capping it off.. but maybe i'll give it a try, cause the oil spitting on the header makes for a smokey ride..

CC_UpInSmoke_MS_5.jpg

but then wont the crap just come out of the v/c?

Edited by lynchfourtwenty

In my personal experience, I haven't had any problems with oil coming out of the valve cover....but my engine doesn't have much if any blowby. And yes, I agree, it isn't an ideal setup, but it isn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be either.

i guess braap has a point but still he even says "its not ideal"

i would feel alot better about running it to a can over crimping it or capping it off.. but maybe i'll give it a try, cause the oil spitting on the header makes for a smokey ride..

but then wont the crap just come out of the v/c?

running it into a can would be a good idea too but wouldnt you still have all of the toxic fumes in the engine bay and seeping in to the cab. this is just an idea but run it down to the ground kinda like a blow off tube for a turbo. i would still just block it off as long as you have other ventilation it should be fine. but hey what do i know.

and why is this the worst fuckin advice ever. i have done it and as long as you have ventilation its fine and other people has done it also and that has been said in this thread so that is not a fail if other people have done it.

Because other people have done it doesn't make it a good idea. In the short term nothing will be noticed. If you keep track of oil changes you will find a PCV equipped motor will be cleaner inside, the oil will be cleaner, the engine will last longer.

Before the early '60s, crankcase fumes were left to exit a down pipe from the crankcase. Ever wonder why you would be very lucky to get 100K miles out of a 50s motor??? Oil was changed every 2 thousand miles. The PCV valve helps a motor last longer by keeping the oil cleaner. Without it, residual fuel and water vapor condense inside the motor overnight and contaminate/dilute the oil. The PCV system is so simple in operation and theory, had absolutely NO effect on performance, virtually foolproof, easy to fix, and so advantageous it should never be disconnected or left off. It's like extending the life of you motor for free.

Edited by datzenmike

Over on LS1Tech.com (I read it for my DD), there is a THIRTEEN PAGE thread on catch cans, PVC valves, and the importance of getting the oil vapor safely out of the motor for exactly the reasons you mention, Mike.

I haven't seen it mentioned on LS1Tech, but it's pretty common for NASCAR to use an "crankcase sucker" to pull negative pressure inside the crankcase theoretically increasing HP some small percentage by making the rings seal more effectively and creating a bigger pressure differential above/below the piston. The basic idea is that they use exhaust pulses and an all-metal PCV valve to evacuate the crankcase. There's a tube welded into the exhaust flow right after the collector, and this 'powers' the sucker. Google it.

It's probably a bad idea on motors that need rings, however.

^^^^Agreed 100%. Think of it this way. It was such a good design and alternative that every manufacturer since the early to mid 60's has adopted it. How can that many engineers and designers be wrong or out to lunch? It's a simple design and definitely prolongs the life of the motor - common sense. I am sick of the smell in the CAB. I have no blowby. I also have no damn PCV hoses. You've seen the pictures...Its hooked up ass backwards and needs to be fixed. I will get to it this weekend. Thanks all that contributed advice.

:cool:

Over on LS1Tech.com (I read it for my DD), there is a THIRTEEN PAGE thread on catch cans, PVC valves, and the importance of getting the oil vapor safely out of the motor for exactly the reasons you mention, Mike.

I haven't seen it mentioned on LS1Tech, but it's pretty common for NASCAR to use an "crankcase sucker" to pull negative pressure inside the crankcase theoretically increasing HP some small percentage by making the rings seal more effectively and creating a bigger pressure differential above/below the piston. The basic idea is that they use exhaust pulses and an all-metal PCV valve to evacuate the crankcase. There's a tube welded into the exhaust flow right after the collector, and this 'powers' the sucker. Google it.

It's probably a bad idea on motors that need rings, however.

I had actually thought about doing that exact thing.