Weber 32/36

Mydime

Hey guys have a quick question, my brother is working on his 74 L18 620 trying to get it running well. He sent me this link for a carb he is looking at and I think that it seems like it should work well.....would love some feed back from you guys on it.........bone stock L18

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5472&language=

Thanks,

Glen

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken...........how about that out of box jetting they are sugesting is that going to be fairly close starting point to get a decent tune?

Does anyone have any recomendations on jetting a 32/36 on an L18?

I read Slodats kc build thread and his jetting for an L20 motor, would that be a fairly good point to start even though this is an L18?

I read the post on the dime quarterly and the article said that you should use an F11 and a F9 Emulsion tube....problem is I cant find any of the 61440 style emulsion tubes that are correct.....found an F9 in Germany of all places:lol:

Thanks for the help guys...

Glen

I put one from webercarbsdirect on a truck about a month ago. Quality wise it had flashing from the molds and the linkage kit was a damn joke... I didnt open it up to check out the rest of it but it is an obviously inferior product when comparered to an older weber. I put it on a mitsubishi mighty max and ended up using bits from datsun linkage and making some stuff with a vice a hammer a hacksaw a drill press and a lot of patience. It did work well though and the truck is now driveable and reliable. I have no idea how long the carb will last, it is something that I am curious about and keeping an eye on. I will post up with any problems that come up, but Im guessing it will be a while (years)

Truthfully, I see the chinese carbs like any other chinese crap being sold here, its usually functional but leaves much to be desired as far as craftsmanship and longevity. I would much rather find an old carb to rebuild or spend the money on somebodies quality used piece. If I needed a carb right now to keep my only rig running Id buy one, If it was a project or extra car that I didnt rely on I would hold out and get a good used one.

Also... if the stock hitachi is complete and there is no shaft play, Id rebuild that before I bought one of these carbs. I rebuilt/cleaned the hitachi on my 74 620, it still starts even now (single digit temps... well below freezing) and once warmed up it runs like a champ, smooth as can be.

Weber Redline, to my knowledge, is the only actual Weber distributor in the US. I put one on an S-10 a few years ago, and the carb was stamped 'Made in Italy'. Maybe call and ask them where they are made now. They also sell legitimate linkage kits.

You can also find used ones for about $100 +/- on Craigslist. The throttle shafts wear out, so look at any used one carefully. There are kits available to correct this wear at weberjets.com.

If you need an adapter for the carb to intake try JAM engineering.

• 3 weeks later...

Glen,

Any luck on determining what emulsion tubes to use?

I'm trying to put a Weber DFV on my '73 L16. It is waay too rich off idle and I don't know what way to go on the emulsion tubes. The ones I have now just say "15" and "16" on them. I have been looking for some "F-11" tubes as was suggested in DQ, but like you can not find any.

Fred

Bonzai,

I'm not too sure it matters where it was made. Mine is a DFV made by Holley in the United States.

The jetting certainly does matter. Do you have anything productive to add? I'm trying to figure out if there is any rime or reason to the emulsion tube numbering system as that seems to be where my problems lie ~ around the 1/4 throttle point.

Thanks,

Fred