Different differential for a 620?

newguy

I have been searching the forums for a while now and havn't found any answers to my question. So here it is.

Does anyone know of a 6 lug rear end with an limited slip for a 78' 620?

I'm going to do a 4 link soon to compleat my air ride setup. Before I weld on the tabs and finalize everything. I want a limited slip rear end. So I want to know if someone else has done the research.

Is there another rear end from a different truck that comes with limited slip and in a 6 lug? like a mazda or toyota.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the rest of the folks rag on you for not using the search feature on here...and yes this has been gone over on this forum more than a few times :D but with that said you can buy LSDs for the factory 620 H190 rear ends and they will hold up to a good amount of power look up Finelines build thread and I believe there is info on the LSD in there also

Before the rest of the folks rag on you for not using the search feature on here...and yes this has been gone over on this forum more than a few times :D but with that said you can buy LSDs for the factory 620 H190 rear ends and they will hold up to a good amount of power look up Finelines build thread and I believe there is info on the LSD in there also

thanks, i didn't know my rear end was called an h190. I saw that every where but didn't know what rear end they where talking about.

Toyota does but about 1" wider on each side. Also you will have to move the spring perches over so the Nissan leaf springs will fit. The e-brake cable set up is different too.

I was wundering about teh Toyota rear end myself, so what year of rear end is 2" too wide? they made two different widths, most likely the 79-85 solid axle one?

in the "Toyota world" the 79-85 4x4 rear ends are pretty much scrap material no one wants them. they are referred to as teh narrow ones. then teh IFS 86-94 rear ends are the ones that the wheelers want, cause they are 3" wider so the tires will get away from teh frame more.

it would be good to know if its that much work to put one in a 620. since the aftermarket for Toyota stuff is so big. pretty much every 4x4 third member came with 4.10's, some 4.37's and then 4.56's. decent on price to put rear discs on. pretty damn strong, shit on my wheeler on running 39.5's on stock toy rear axles.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to find out if any other ring and pinion would work in the H190. Like a toyota ring and pinion or a gm ring and pinion or anything??? Something has to work so you can change your gear ratios? Somebody ever tried other gears in their datsun????

Very unlikely others would fit.

Yes I have switched from a 4.375 to a 4.111 in my 620. Takes about an hours work.

The H-190 came in lots of sizes: 3.364, 3.545, 3.70, 3.889, 4.111, 4.375, 4.625, 4.875 and 5.12 (I think) Take your pick!

The H-190 was a third member with ring and pinion contained in a removable housing. Just unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the axles behind the backing plate and pull them outward a few inches to clear the side gear splines inside the differential and remove the 10 nuts that hold the differential to the axle housing and remove it. Watch out it weighs about 70 lb. Swap in another with the ratio you want and go.

note: The H-190 from a Roadster, PL510 wagon or a Maxima wagon is not compatible unless you swap in the truck side gears as well.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Would 3rd member h190 carrier from a 1983 720 fit my axles on my 1971 521?

i was wondering the same thing. i have heard it does swap, but i do not know for sure

Count me in on that one. :cool:

It will, but has to be from a 2wd. The 4x4 ones up till mid '82 should, but after that they went to a larger U joint and flange on the pinion. NO a 2wd flange will not swap to the later 4x4 diff... they changed the spline too.

Sorry lost track of this post.