My 1974 610 build.

nbesheer

Well that didn't last long, the Alternator crapped out, so now I'm going to attempt to return the 610 alt on a warranty exchange w/ my Z alt to get a better one for free. Need to find the write up on how to do that

Dimequarterly has the best writeup, IMO.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Zerow's wealth of information" - Thanks nbesheer...Its truly sad the collection of things I have in my 'Datsun' folder on this computer. We need a Trivial Pursuit-Datsun Edition...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got the IR alternator in so happy it works now. was actually way easier then I thought. also my headlights are a bit less yellow now too.

Way to go! You'll know how well it works when you drive at night for the first time after install. Also, pull the ground for the headlights, sand the ring, re-install, and spray with WD-40. You'll see a HUGE improvement then!

So the new alt requires more engine power to turn it so I need to up the idle a bit but am I going to turning the screw that physically turns the throttle linkage, or is there a better way to do that ?

Nope, thats the one. Theres a plate that the screw pushes against to open the throttle a little wider to up the RPMs.

sweet and what's a good idle rpm for a L18 with this alternator ? (1983 280zx alt)

EDIT: also zerow you remember that fuel/vapor hard line I mentioned to you that ran to the passenger wheel well. Well the hose/bolt the PO used to block it off has a pin hole leak. What is the best way to block off a barbed hard line w/o damaging it ?

sweet and what's a good idle rpm for a L18 with this alternator ? (1983 280zx alt)

EDIT: also zerow you remember that fuel/vapor hard line I mentioned to you that ran to the passenger wheel well. Well the hose/bolt the PO used to block it off has a pin hole leak. What is the best way to block off a barbed hard line w/o damaging it ?

You have stick, so stock was +/- 800rpm. I wouldn't go any higher than 925, if I could avoid it.

I remember the hard line. That PO of your car = asshat. There are rubber plugs that push over the end of those hardlines to block them off. I would try the local auto parts store. Dorman/Motormite *should* have something in stock for the application. Or go old school and melt a rubber vacuum line at the end and create your own plug...

Alright So I can set the RPM on... friday ? lol and I need to go junkyarding for a alt bracket that looks like my S130 one, a lower mounting bolt for the alt, as my po only mounted w/ one, and then the little brackets and bolts that mount to the bottom of the engine and the front of the trans as I don't have those lol wtf ?

Alright So I can set the RPM on... friday ? lol and I need to go junkyarding for a alt bracket that looks like my S130 one, a lower mounting bolt for the alt, as my po only mounted w/ one, and then the little brackets and bolts that mount to the bottom of the engine and the front of the trans as I don't have those lol wtf ?

I have had to learn the hard way to do what I can, when I can. As for the parts you need, try Milliken. I was there a week ago, not much in the way of other small L-series cars/trucks, but there were more than a handful of Z Cars. Hope that helps...