3 die in Nor-Cal

Crash kills 3 on notorious El Dorado County road

ShareThis

Buzz up!

By Hudson Sangree and Stephen Magagnini

hsangree@sacbee.com

Published: Monday, Nov. 30, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1A

The driver of a car that slammed into a tree Sunday, killing two high school students and a third passenger on a notoriously dangerous El Dorado County Road, may face vehicular manslaughter charges, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

The passengers who died in the 12:40 a.m. single-car collision on Salmon Falls Road were Nan Hee Pak, 16, a sophomore at Rocklin High School; Elijah John Shaw, 18, a senior at Folsom High School; and Alex Weast, 20, CHP Sgt. Todd Brown said.

Parents described Pak and Shaw as upbeat teenagers who aspired to college and professional careers. Rocklin High School principal Michael Garrison said he believed Weast was a former student.

The driver, Mark Barrera, 20, of Rocklin, was the only survivor. He was treated at Sutter Roseville Medical Center and released, Brown said.

With the investigation still under way, excessive speed was being examined as a likely cause, the CHP sergeant said. Alcohol was not thought to be a factor, he said.

Salmon Falls Road, which snakes from El Dorado Hills to Highway 49 in rural Pilot Hill, has been the scene of a number of deadly motorcycle and car collisions over the past two decades.

Early Sunday morning, the silver 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX, owned by Shaw and driven by Barrera, was heading into a downhill turn south of Pond View Road, when Barrera lost control and the car struck a large oak tree, Brown said.

The car, he said, was "absolutely obliterated."

Pak and Weast, who were sitting in the back seat, died at the scene, said Sgt. James Byers, with the El Dorado County sheriff's and coroner's offices.

Shaw was airlifted to Sutter Roseville Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Byers said.

Two of the three victims had been ejected from the car, he said. Pak was wearing a seat belt, Byers said.

Autopsies are expected today, he said.

Investigators were forced to identify the victims through fingerprints because they carried no identification or cell phones, he said.

Elijah Shaw's mother, Eva Shaw, said her son was a good student who dreamed of becoming a criminal defense lawyer.

"He was always happy, always a jokester," she said. "You couldn't find a more well-rounded kid, athlete, bodybuilder. He liked everything from classical music to opera to techno to rap."

She said the car was "his baby" and she found it hard to believe he would let anyone else drive it.

Elijah, who everyone knew as "EJ," had gotten off work at the Nautica store in the Folsom Premium Outlets about 5 p.m. Saturday, she said.

"He just came home, had dinner, said he was going out with a couple of friends for a little bit," she said. "He told me, 'I love you, Mom. I'll be back later.' "

She said she didn't know the others involved in the accident.

Il Won Pak said his daughter, Nan Hee, a 16-year-old sophomore at Rocklin High School, loved to draw Japanese anim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear - wasted youth!

I go by my motto - "Kid's today have 3X the horsepower,but no more

brains than I did in the early '70's".

And how could a kid afford a three year old Subaru,while working

a minimum wage job?

My cars in high school were a '64 Galaxie ($400),& then a '72-1/2

Toyota Hilux that I paid for with my own money ($2500).Sometimes I

feel that the parents should give them a loaded hand gun - Why do

they give them overpowered cars as gifts?

- Doug

Sad to hear - wasted youth!

I go by my motto - "Kid's today have 3X the horsepower,but no more

brains than I did in the early '70's".

And how could a kid afford a three year old Subaru,while working

a minimum wage job?

My cars in high school were a '64 Galaxie ($400),& then a '72-1/2

Toyota Hilux that I paid for with my own money ($2500).Sometimes I

feel that the parents should give them a loaded hand gun - Why do

they give them overpowered cars as gifts?

- Doug

I'd its about the same, I had a pretty hot little car for my first (I turned my wrenches on it and it was fast when I was done) but it also was fast enough I learned respect for raw power of a car.

It is unfortunate for you guy's loss and just a reminder to be careful and not let others drive my car.