Electric fan for L engines

imtb

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to do this in the future, and I did a lot of looking and reading about it a while back. From what I found, I think SPAL are the way to go. This place looks like a pretty good place to buy them too:

http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_spal.htm

SPAL seem to be higher quality than many of the others. Compare CFM, and current ratings. They are not that much more money than other brands either. Also, many of the cheaper fans say that they can be run either direction (as pusher or puller). SPAL are specifically designed for only one direction (fan blades are designed to either push or pull depending on which fan you buy from them).

If you click on the part numbers on the website above, then click "Fan Specifications", it will show you all the specs plus very detailed measurements.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Search for the modified clutch water pump mod to give you more clearance for your electric fan.

There are a lot of options on choosing a fan. When I was looking at them, I was considering a fan for my 521. Now that I have a 510, I think I may go this route on it too, but I don't know the size to use yet. I had planned to use either a single fan, or two smaller ones next to each other. My 521 has a scirocco rad, so it's a little different. Either way, I think choosing the largest you can fit is the best. That's where the dimensions on that site are so helpful. I don't think you can have too much fan. A larger fan will just run less.

Another thing to consider is that there are louder and quieter fans. The "S" blade fans are a little quieter than the straight blade type, but they blow less air volume. If you thing you will have enough volume with the "S" type, it would be nice not to have so much noise.

Some people mount them on the front of the rad as pushers. From what I've read, this is less efficient. With the water pump mod, I think you could fit it between the rad and engine. It might also help to switch to a different rad for more room.

As far as temp sensors go, I had not made a final decision on that either. My original plan was to use a sensor from a VW rabbit/scirocco. My dad had a rabbit, and the sensor worked fine as soon as he hooked it up to a relay to take the load. You can also look around on sites like summitracing.com or Jegs. They have sensor/relay combos for a reasonable price. The key is to use a setup that has a relay to switch the load of the motor. I don't think the expensive (about $100 if I remember) motor controllers are worth it.

I used 2 Zirgo 10"s on the Bronze - worked great - fans were pretty cheap as well. But put a good relay on them, they suck back the juice! I used a 40 amp relay to switch these two on - temp controlled by the ECU (SDS).

DSCN6794_Large_.JPG

You can barely make them out behind the stock grill -everything cleared. I could have cut out the opening, but in this shot I still had a stock sized rad...

DSCN5170_Large_.JPG

...which wasn't up to the task so I built this over the summer and installed it last month!

DSCN8063_Large_.JPG

Its made up of a new Ford Aerostar core, I ripped off the plastic end tanks, ran the core through a table saw to cut it down to the right height, built my end tanks out of .065 5052 H32 sheet, and incorporated a yet to be connected C&R heat exchanger...

DSCN8069_Large_.JPG

...it's more than adequate, in fact it may be too big but I’m prepared for the hair dryer installation; I've yet to drive the car on a hot day, I guess I'll have to wait till next summer to give it a real test!

Byron

Edited by Byron510

one word impressive. I like how the L series look when its detailed out. Do you have 2.2 or what ? I thinking about going with with a 2.3L it would have Z20 crank and KA pistons.

I ordered a 12"spal and one of these

http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp40002

I am going to check with my local rad shop and see if he can braze in a bung for the temp sensor, I think that would be better than the inline if he can do it.

one word impressive. I like how the L series look when its detailed out. Do you have 2.2 or what ? I thinking about going with with a 2.3L it would have Z20 crank and KA pistons.

I ordered a 12"spal and one of these

http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp40002

I am going to check with my local rad shop and see if he can braze in a bung for the temp sensor, I think that would be better than the inline if he can do it.

Thanks, I do put a lot of effort into this car over the past 7 years

Tonight I got the elec. fan installed and very pleased with how itworks. It was super easy to install with the spal kit. I had my rad boiled and they put in the boss for the temp sensor see on the lower right. The fan is a little big so, I mounted if off center and and to notch out for the pulley. It not as clean looking as I would have liked. But very please with the perfomance. I fired it up after the install and let her idle for a maybe ten minutes and it kicked right on when the stock temp guage shows the thick line, and the fan ran for a very short time and turned off. The fan really moves some air. I was really surprised at how quiet the enigne is w/o the fan. I think its nice up]grade overall and curious how it will do when it hot out. Its only in the 40F here. Oh yea its sounds kinda cool when the fan kicks on. I also wired to kepp running after car is off if its over 185f Here are some pics.

I just notice Byron's dime doesnt have a dizzy, thats clean.

Picture509.jpg

Picture512.jpg

Picture513.jpg

Picture514.jpg

I also like the clean look of the electric fan.

Nice install, look really good.

And hey, as an added bonus you may have picked up like 1 HP at 5000 RPM! :D

Yep, the lack of a dizzy is missed by many. The SDS ECU is crank fired - talk about stable ignition! It's my first crank fired ignition, and man will it be hard to back if I ever do this again.

Byron

I agree. Nice job. I like how you attached the fan with brackets off of the side frames. I think this is better than using the "zip tie" type fasteners that most of these after market fans come with.

I'll keep this thread in mind for future reference. Eventually I'll have some time to work on my wagon instead of just talk about it:D

I like the fastening to the frames too, much more solid. I had the plastic "zip tie" fastener fail on me on the last club run and the fan came apart and hammered a hole into the radiator. This time I'm using Byron's method of fan attachment onto the rad support as pushers and I'm using the same twin 10" "Zirgo" fans that he's using too.

"zirgo" fans are the chinese copies of the spal fans.

"zip ties" dont come with spal fans.

The Zip Ties/ Tranny Cooler ties didn't come with the Zirgo fans either (for $60 I was happy to get the fan in a box!). I know they are Chinese units, but I took the chance