Street Legal Bumper Cars

A friend of mine sent me this and it is too cool not to share. :mrgreen:

STREET LEGAL BUMPER CARS

It's easy for a gear-head to be discouraged about the state of the world, especially in times of Carpocalypse and Cash for Clunkers. But occasionally, a bright light of awesome renews the spirit. Road-legal bumper cars do just that.

Yes, you read that right; these little beasties are street legal. Either Kawasaki or Honda motorcycle engines for power, and retired vintage bumper car bodies - transformed into the most awesome form of mini-car we've ever seen.

There's seven of these little monsters floating around California, and they're all the creation of one man, Tom Wright, a gyro-gear loose builder on the outskirts of San Diego who figured the leftovers of the Long Beach Pike amusement park needed a more dignified end than the trash heap. They were originally powered by Harley engines but rattled like heck and Tom replace them with Honda or Kawasaki 750's... and a couple have been 'measured' [not run at] theoretically as capable of 160 MPH which is terrifyingly fast in machines with such a short wheelbase. Doesn't mean we would totally rock one should the opportunity present itself. In fact, we now have only one burning desire, to see these things running a go kart track with a clown in the drivers seat.

Bumper_Car_7.jpg

Bumper_Car_6.jpg

Bumper_Car_5.jpg

Bumper_Car_4.jpg

Bumper_Car_3.jpg

Bumper_Car_2.jpg

Bumper_Car_1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a buddy were very serious about building some hellkarts ( go carts with crotch rocket engines ) but questioned how often we could actually run them.

I always wondered what it would take to make one road legal. Bumpers and a roll cage?

Appropriate lighting?

What law or measures make these things street legal?