voltage regulators 76 620

alleycat

hey guys, i have to get a new voltage regulator, i'm in pacifica ca.

auto zone $29.99 - 3 month warranty

kragen $96.99 - said it had a lifetime? warranty.

ebay has some for $75. + shipping, some for $35. + shipping

you guys know your brands better than i do, which would you get?

thanks, lots to learn.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

VRs has risen in prices since I bought them for 22$. last one was 36$ or so for my 510.

620s are more expensive for some reason

Well make a solid state one which are the cheapest and I had good reliability with them.

I believe Carquest and Autozone sell the same one if solid state.

PS do not get the USA made mechanical ones. They suck!!!!!

try rockauto.com for better prices or ebay

Alleycat:

Here's a link to an ebay seller that I bought two voltage regulators from a few months ago for my '77 620. He was a good seller. He is selling off old parts house stock of good aftermarket parts from the 1980's. Parts are new in excellent condition in the original boxes. I installed one of the solid state voltage regulators that I bought from him and it's working good! You sure can't beat the price!

Dan

http://stores.ebay.com/a-e-auto-parts__W0QQ_sacatZaeautopartsQQ_sidZ143626587?_nkw=VR-159&submit=Search

• 2 weeks later...

VR728 if I remeber correctly was the one manufactured by Wells for a 510/521. but Carquest has one also under their own part# 86086.

These are the solid state ones. made in USA.

the USA mechanicals with the big case suck and dont buy it. Buy the Jap mechancical if you just got to have a volt reg.

VR prices have shot up. I looked for one for a 620 truck at O Rileys(O Ripoffs) and listed 120$. cheaper to get a KA truck IR alternator and do the conversion.

try Rockauto.com(look like the Wells Made VRs) or ebay might have some also for 10$

I got mine when they were 22$ apc and bought like 3 of them. Now they dont have the lifetime warentee. But I got a stack of good& New alternators thats why I dont go IR alt.

photo is USA made solid state VR, right is Japan mechanical VR

brakemastervoltregs_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

[quote name=banzai510(hainz);

photo is USA made solid state VR' date=' right is Japan mechanical VR[/quote]

If you would like to keep the engine compartment looking stock, most mechanical regulator housings are fastened to the base with a few tabs. Straighten out the tabs, lift the cover off, cut the tabs off and epoxy or solder the mechanical can over the electronic replacement, most are the same base area and make a visually exact duplicate of the OEM setup.