sr20det 510...

new too the forum I found some good info here for the sr20det swap. So I thought I should join and start a thread for my project. I'm 19 years old and its been a father/son project since we bought it. bought the car from Montana as a scca car with an l16 then traded the motor for LZ24, dual 45dcoes and custom made header and so on.... LZ24 is now in need of a rebuild. but kinda convinced dad to go sr....

some pics of the car...

IMG_5581.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

my bmw beside it instead of selling it did a motor swap last year...

4952.jpg?t=1257520696

what i did the other night....

made a brace to keep it from moving when cut out...

Picture996.jpg?t=1257298960

Picture999.jpg?t=1257299337

Picture998.jpg?t=1257299359

Picture1002.jpg?t=1257299456

Picture1001.jpg?t=1257299529

Picture1004.jpg?t=1257299625

all welded up...

Picture1006.jpg?t=1257299698

then the next night in the garage....

Picture1011.jpg?t=1257457230

also bump steer spacers cam in the mail.

Picture1018-1.jpg?t=1257457249

Picture1020-1.jpg?t=1257457286

The actual motor that's on the way... be here end of next week!

IMG_6020.jpg?t=1257457775

that's all for now..... also will be getting a walbro inline 255, will the stock fuel pressure regulator work, or do i need an aftermarket one? alao does the stock turbo/manifold fit or does it have to be a top mount?

Edited by jeremy_sr510
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you got ebay for your manifold. you're going to end up buying twice because it will fail, and you'll buy a real non knock off manifold. You already got the Sr, the most expensive of common engine swaps. Why cheap out on the things that will make it perform up to its name?

I like knock offs. :D You obviously have access to a welder, so if your budget minded, just get an ebay one and weld some supports on it. I would check some sr20 forums for reviews on certain ebay ones to see which ones are decent.

Check the original weld beads to see if they look good. If not, just run another bead over it.

The most complaints i seen are that the some of the welds just crack from the heat combined with vibration and weight of the turbo. Even some of the fancy ones will fail from this.

A flex pipe can also aid in the life of the manifold so it doesn't crack.

The one that sssr20det510 is offering looks like money. Everything is already there and made for the 510

Edited by fo0manchu

off to a good start, that manifold will crack even with bracing and rewelding. the issue with those manifolds are they are thin walled so in time you will buy another...

for the about the price your paying for that one i can make you a top mount log manifold out of 304 SS....

check out the one i made on my 1200 if your interested...

keep up the good work!

off to a good start, that manifold will crack even with bracing and rewelding. the issue with those manifolds are they are thin walled so in time you will buy another...

for the about the price your paying for that one i can make you a top mount log manifold out of 304 SS....

check out the one i made on my 1200 if your interested...

keep up the good work!

that one i posted pics of is 304 stainless...has a couple braces on it....but its still ebay stuff i know. but how do we know that manifold is not the thicker ss? it could be... by the way your manifold looks sick....got me thinking.

Edited by jeremy_sr510
your going to need to flip the center link for the steering also cuz it will hit the bottom of the SR i had mac at mckinney do mine but looks like you weld so should not be a problem for you

i was searching about that... if the motor mounts are made right. also read something about using 620 mounts with 1/2inch spacer it will only just hardly touch the bell housing, at full turn. if that's true then it will do the trick for us.... and wont have to mod it... also its cast so i don't have the stuff for welding it... see what happens next week when i try and stuff it in there.

yeah but then your going to run into having your motor in their at the wrong angle and or start to hit the firewall with the bellhousing, it might look like theirs alot of room but once you get that motor in their its a pretty snug fit. with the stock mounts the motor sits pretty much perfect if not a lil nose high already.

if your trying to stay away from flipping it (cuz your lazy and or cheap) you can always grind out the bottom of the sr where it hits, that was the option mac gave me but i opted to flip it everything clears perfect like it was from the factory i was really happy with it, anything that will touch the motor will cause a nasty vibration and make the car feel like shit

i also seen people heat and bent it str8 but i think thats the stupidest thing i ever seen done, weakens the centerlink alot

Edited by JDM510
that one i posted pics of is 304 stainless...has a couple braces on it....but its still ebay stuff i know. but how do we know that manifold is not the thicker ss? it could be... by the way your manifold looks sick....got me thinking.

its still thin wall tubing which is why it will break along with weak welds.

i personally will warrenty anything i make... take your time do it once and do it right.

I think its the same pattern i dont have a stock turbo to test fit i have a z31 turbo that bolts up

if i remember correctly the turbo you speak of is a t28 3t flanged with is different. if he is using the OEM t25/28 turbo it needs to be t2 flanged.

yeah but then your going to run into having your motor in their at the wrong angle and or start to hit the firewall with the bellhousing, it might look like theirs alot of room but once you get that motor in their its a pretty snug fit. with the stock mounts the motor sits pretty much perfect if not a lil nose high already.

if your trying to stay away from flipping it (cuz your lazy and or cheap) you can always grind out the bottom of the sr where it hits, that was the option mac gave me but i opted to flip it everything clears perfect like it was from the factory i was really happy with it, anything that will touch the motor will cause a nasty vibration and make the car feel like shit

i also seen people heat and bent it str8 but i think thats the stupidest thing i ever seen done, weakens the centerlink alot

I do not have the gear to weld cast steel i can try but i would not trust it at all. also wouldn't bend it......

what about fuel lines i have a 5/16th line ran i was thinking about using it as my return then run a 3/8th feed.... seems like some people do that some run 5/16th back and forth. but later in the future when it starters getting more boost different turbo and stuff... i would like to have the 3/8th's now if i need it then.

its still thin wall tubing which is why it will break along with weak welds.

i personally will warrenty anything i make... take your time do it once and do it right.

if i remember correctly the turbo you speak of is a t28 3t flanged with is different. if he is using the OEM t25/28 turbo it needs to be t2 flanged.

I'm thinking i want to do it right the first time... but don't want to spend $ on a bigger turbo/wastgate yet, maybe next year or something ill change it.... but also don't want to have to buy another manifold in a year or so too. so should i get something for a t3 then an adapter to use my stock t25 for now? or make a manifold for the t25 then time comes to upgrade cut the flange off and weld on a t3? I'm stumped now.... or use a cheap ebay one for a year if it holds up then upgrade turbo/manifold/wastegate all at once....

Thanks for all the help Guys! ill need it

ya we can change out the flange later but i have to ask what is your end goal with the car power wise?

because you can stay with a T2 flange ( t25/28) and make 350-400 with a GT2871... only reason to go bigger is for big power so it depends on your end goal.

me personally if mine was a street car i would run a gt2871 or even a S15 turbo which would be killer in a light car like ours....

ya we can change out the flange later but i have to ask what is your end goal with the car power wise?

because you can stay with a T2 flange ( t25/28) and make 350-400 with a GT2871... only reason to go bigger is for big power so it depends on your end goal.

me personally if mine was a street car i would run a gt2871 or even a S15 turbo which would be killer in a light car like ours....

thinking ill buy or make one with t2 flange when time comes for more power or turbo needs to be replaced. Then get something like a gt2871 or something with a t2 flange. the goal is make the car reliable and drivable so dad can drive, on the street, and too the track some auto-x lapping days.

thanks for the great help... also if i buy one or make one should it have a external WG. then for now just use a block off plate then its there for when the time comes?