SR20DET setup advice

freekwonder

I've got a blacktop s13 motor I purchased form somebody in my area. He was pushing pushing over 500, I have NO plans to push that much power with it. The parts of the motor I'm wondering about is the cams and intake manifold. It has a greddy knock off intake manifold and HKS 272 cams. If I only plan to push the low 300s at best, is it in my best interest to get rid of the cams and intake manifold?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if the intake manifold works properly and gives you no guff its going to help your throttle response a lot. What are you building the car for? is it a daily? if its a daily that cam might be a little aggressive.

also Id check out the insides of the engine. if you got it at a "good deal" price it may be a good plan to rebuild.

getting rid of the cams and intake will not drop your power level to 300. if you are not building a daily driver why dont you just keep the cams? how do you know that the engine was making 500 hp? did you get a dyno sheet to prove it?

if i were you i would install the engine the way you got it and then have it dyno'd to see where you are really at and then determine what you need to do to get the power where you want it. you may have to get a smaller turbo, or decrease the amount of boost the current turbo is making, or? can you give us some specs on the turbo?

also, the upgrade from a 500hp sr to a v8 does not make sense to me. maybe he got tired to the laggy sr and wanted some really fat torque down low. who knows?

Edited by b210in

I know changing the cams and manifold won't drop me to the 300 range. I'm just wondering if the cams and manifold are really needed. I didn't get a turbo from the guy, just to get my car running I got my hands on a very cheap T3 from a saab. I will probably be in the mid to high 200s at best for the turbo's possiblities. I'm thinking the turbo won't really move enough air for the cams/manifold on the car right now and I should probably aquire some stock style parts.

It's easier to make power with a LS1 over an SR20.

I'm by far not an engine guy. I like tinkering and reading but I'm by no means a pro so the following opinion is just that.

From my knowledge the 272 are almost the same cams they put in the non turbo SR (if memory serves me right which is about 50 50) If I'm correct they should be fine for a daily driver. The intake mani is awesome for working on the engine I think. So much more room to reach stuff. If I was you I would leave it alone. Maybe get a smaller turbo but knowing myself I would keep the monster turbo :D

Cool thanks guys.

I'm just trying to get her running right now (been sitting for 3 years and I'm going nuts) not looking to race her yet, that's why I just picked up a cheap T3 to get her running right now. Was a little worried the cams/manifold would not work well with the cams.

Yes, I love the manifold for being able to actually get around the engine in the bay lol.

Also to add to that 510's are a pretty light weight car. Even with shorter runners lowering torque it will still be a easy car to start from a stop even on a hill. I think the clutch choice will be the major factor weather it's easy to daily drive. Any puck clutch can be a bitch.

Also to add to that 510's are a pretty light weight car. Even with shorter runners lowering torque it will still be a easy car to start from a stop even on a hill. I think the clutch choice will be the major factor weather it's easy to daily drive. Any puck clutch can be a bitch.

Sadly I can't remember what clutch is in it. I think he had a punk in it which he gave to me, but he changed out to a sprung clutch.

leave the cams and the manifold, put on the T3 and run ~10lbs and youl be fine.

To be pushing over 500hp on that SR the PO was running a much larger turbo and hell of alot more boost.

Sweet, I was afraid the turbo wouldn't be able to push enough air for the cams and manifold.