Stuck in Gear

az_rat210

75 Datsun B210, that blue beast.

4 Speed Transmission. The shifter is stuck in 2nd Gear. Is there a quick fix?

I have taken out a loan against my 401k to get a 5-Speed for the car, just need the car to stay mobile till that goes through.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no quick fixes on that transmission (56 series Aug 74 and earlier, Sept 74 on is a 60 Series).

The transmission needs to come out and be opened up. There is virtually nothing that will cause the transmission to get stuck in gear that can be reached from the outside. You will need to either pull the tailshaft housing or front case, likely both to get to the cause of your problem.

quick fix, get behind the shifter (make sure you have boots on) give the little shit a swift kick towards neutral :)

That sounds feasible.:D

Second Gear has been acting up for months. The Clutch works fine, as I can engage and disengage it.

I can obtain a 60 Series 5 speed for $300.00, looking at $80 for an overhaul kit off the web, or $140.00 if it includes the synchro bushings. Plus cost of labor at a shop to overhaul and install the Tranny.

I can get the overhaul kit from here with synchro rings. Anyone know of a better place to get the kit?

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan_f5w71_overhaul_kit.html