521 tranmission question.

HRH

Okay, so a local guy here has a '71 521 with a 4 speed and the tailshaft broke all to crap on him from probably a previous owners' issue. Anyway, I was going to sell him the extra 4 speed out of my 510, which looks almost the same except the shift housing.

Does anyone know if the 521 4 speeds are only 521, or are there other 4 speeds that are identical, into 620 years maybe?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 510 and the 510 trannys are F4W63 4spds and the same length, however the 521 has a flange output on the end of the tailstock, whereas the 510 has a spline. I believe the 521 ratios are the same as the 510 wagon.

521 tranny with flange output:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg[/img]"]transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

510 tranny (bottom) with spline output:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg[/img]"]trans4speedlongandshort-1.jpg

The top tranny is also an F4W63 but longer tailstock for use in the 610/710 and the early 620 (but with wider ratio gears) till Sept. '73 when the new F4W71B was introduced.

i put a 510 4 speed in my 620 just measure them and make sure they are the same length

Need more info on this as I was sure the early 620 tranny is 31.5". Did you lengthen the drive shaft then?

Edited by datzenmike

Booo! That's not very ratsun! I'm slapping your hand from the interwebs. :D

Mike, thanks for the info, that's what I couldn't figure out. I thought he had somehow broken off his driveshaft flange too. Shifter housing is different, and flange vs. spline, which means my tailshaft won't work on his transmission so pretty much have to find a truck tranny. Hmmmm. That sucks. Unless he'll pay me 100, I'm not going to go yank him a tranny at the wrecking yard.

EDIT: Hey Mike, is there any Datsun part you don't currently own or have a pic of? ;)

Shifter housing is different,

Different how? the 510 and the 521 should be the same style as in the picture.

EDIT: Hey Mike, is there any Datsun part you don't currently own or have a pic of? ;)

I don't have a RWD SR20 tranny picture.

HRH, if you take off the big nut that is holding on the flange it will slide right out.

SANY0461.jpg

It is about 8 inches long and splined. It should slide right the end of the 510 tranny. You can use a freeze plug to cap the end so its not possible for oil to seep out past the splines.

SANY0460.jpg

521 and 510s use the same A type shifter known by those who have used them as the 'monkey motion' shifter. The threaded shift lever passes down through two tapered cone shaped rubbers and clamps them with a large washer and nut. Naturally any wear and the shifter wanders all over the place.