L18 camshaft?

620connor

I'm looking to get a camshaft for my 74 620, It has an L18 engine in it. I would like a cam with a lot of torque and acceleration. An L20b cam is an option for me but i don't think it will add very much more power than my stock cam in my L18. Does anyone know where i can get an aftermarket performance cam for my L18 engine? and does an L20B cam add alot more power than my stock L18 cam? -Thanks for your time.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you will get nothing going from stock cam to stock cam. There are a few places to get a cam. where are you? Specialty Engineering near Vancouver can supply everything you need. Colt Cams in Langly can sell you a cam alone. in California, i think Topend perf and Ermish Racing can supply them. don't go over .450" lift for a daily driver, .050" duration s/b around 212-220 deg, l/c 113 deg - but i like a hotter cam, you'll get mixed opinions on this topic as it is completely different for most people, regardless if they have the same cylinder head and displacement. A general overview of cam selection criteria is: remember that lift is torque, duration is horsepower, lobe centers tell you where the power band is. but as a rule, you should err on the side of caution. take a reccomendation from ermish or specialty over some guy on an internet forum. Hainz should have better data on this. watch his video on how to install the cam.

i'm in california, i would like to get a pretty hot cam with a real nasty idle. do you have any ideas on a good cam setup for my truck? the truck is bone stock but i'm going to get the motor rebuilt soon. (and its not a daily driver so i want a pretty wild cam) and what will i have to change if i get a good cam? like what parts do i have to change in the motor to work with the bigger cam? i'm pretty new to working on engines. Thanks for the help.

if you want a nasty idle then the motor you have will not run to well. if you want a big cam your bottom end may not have enough compression ratio to match with the cam. I would say if you don't care how it drives get the hot cam but if you do go with the L20 cam unless you build the bottom end

Hainz's recommendation is as big as i would suggest:). Anything bigger and it'll have too much overlap and bleed off cylinder pressure at the low end, you'll have to spend another $100 on comp retainers, spend way too much time trying find 'the perfect number' for timing until you realize the vacuum advance has to be disconnected and you have to recurve the distributor - hopfully it hasn't overheated and melted down in traffic during this process, and it'll have the drivability of a unimog in the swamp. you'll need 16 lash pads at $8 each, probably need the roadster springs around $100, 16 followers, $20 ea, etc...:)