Bare metal

84nissan720

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a body shop perspective, I've never met a rattle can primer I thought was worth a shit. Most will wipe away with Wax and grease remover. Not a good thing when going to put a real job it.

But if you dont have the set up to do a real spray ( paint gun and compressor ). Rattle can will have to do.

When I say "self etching primer", I'm talking about a product sold at auto body stores, it's in a spray can, and is about $14 per can, but they're big cans. The stuff is worth the money coz' it's very durable and adheres extremely well.... but it's not a weather-proof coating ---- it *requires* a top coat, or you'll get rust right through the primer.

IMHO, hardware store rattlecan paint is only good for lawn furniture and mailboxes and shit like that. If you have to use hardware store paint, at least use the self-etching primer first.

you can run rattle can primer but beware, primer was never inteded as a top coat and does not protect the metal like a good enamel paint, if you do primer dont leave it on long, go ahead and pick out a nice top coat and get it ready to go, if you want a primer look you can get flat or matte enamel paints, happy spraying

Use an epoxy primer on it.... so you will need a spray gun and compressor. Most rattle can primers are enamel and dont take well to real automotive paints and also have no fill and very vulnerable to contamination. DO NOT soak the gate in wd-40 as you will have issues with peeling, fisheyes and delamination forever.

We have wd-40 at the body shop i work at but like all the oil and wax based products they are very controlled... where they are used and how. They are not allowed in the prep and paint areas at all. Also hand cleaning methods are very strict too