which head?

moparvwfreak

alright. heres what i am up against. i have to check the A87 off the old motor, but as i am yanking the head off the L20 i figured i should ask. either way its going to have the stock L20 cam and pads so thats not an issue. so heres the question....

A87 off my L16, or the W58 off my L20? either way its getting new valve seals and all other gaskets (bought a whole motor gasket set) but which would be better for my daily drivinghauling needs???

Edited by moparvwfreak
f'd up the numbers.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they're the closed chamber(kidney bean shaped combustion chamber), then they're the same, unless the other head has those pesky metal liners in the exhaust ports.. did you mean w53 or w58? I'm pretty sure there's not a w52... I'd go w/ the A87; it's the stock L18 head, and w/ a little modification to the intake ports(porting to 1.5" from 1.25"), it's the same as the SSS head. I think by just adding the head, it gives you a comp. ratio of almost .5:1 higher. Definitely more umph to your L-series. I don't believe you have to run higher than regular octane, either; but that's just going off how my L18 behaves. I advanced the hell out of it, and couldn''t get it to spark knock. Same w/ my L16 in my truck. I advanced it until it started running slower, and it never pinged on me. Anyhow, all that to say, I'd use the A87.

The A-87 could be open or closed, won't know until you remove it. It has small intake ports and square exhaust ports.

The only possible advantage of using the A-87 on the larger displacement L20B is if it's a closed chamber (pea-nut) head. This would bump the L20B compression from 8.40 to 8.90 and also provide detonation resistance at the same time. The smaller intake port will increase air flow speed which is a good thing for efficient cylinder filling in the low/mid range, but becomes a choke point for the needed air volume as the revs go up. Yes, the port can be opened up but, it needs to be opened up all the way to the valve pocket and not just a small gasket matching job to the intake.

A disadvantage is the square ports on the exhaust. You will need an L16/18 exhaust manifold and down pipe if using it on your '78 truck. If this A-87 is an open chamber I wouldn't even bother with it.

The stock '78-'80 truck head was a W-58 open chamber with emission reducing liners in round exhaust ports.

This head has a larger intake port size better matched to the larger L20B needs. It has round exhaust ports that already match your '78 exhaust manifold. Somewhat of a disadvantage is that it's open chamber, although there are closed W-58 heads. I did have a pea nut W-58 from an S-10, but it may have been a dealer replacement head under warranty as I can find no evidence they were ever installed at the factory. The W-58 is considered a 'smog head', and avoided because of the exhaust liners, but with some small effort the liners can be removed. So much for 'smog head'. I've done this and recommend doing so.

So stock W-58 maybe with liners removed, OR.... A-87 IF close chamber and with L16 exhaust manifold added. Optional: open up the intake ports.

This is an open chamber W-58 head. It is circular and there is open space above all of the piston top when at TDC.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorW-58openL20B78620.jpg[/img]"]motorW-58openL20B78620.jpg

This is a closed chamber (peanut) W-58 head. It is roughly heart shaped and there are some areas where the piston is only the 1.2mm gasket thickness from the head surface. This is called the quench or pinch areas.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/01300019.jpg[/img]"]01300019.jpg

Here is an A-87 closed head:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorheaadA-87closed.jpg[/img]"]motorheaadA-87closed.jpg

alright. it seems that both are open, so i will most likely use the W58 head. i just got done yanking the head to do all new gaskets and they look to be about hte same. :( to bad i dont have the cool stuff. hopefully tomorrow or later tonight, i can get some parts cleaned and starting to go together.